Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat cover support - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-30-2021, 09:34 PM
Wallhanger

Default Boat cover support

Hi ALL,
Any members made their cover support pole before that can give me some ideas ? I am hoping for one that has a bigger base and bigger top. I need one that’s fixed height so telescopic not needed.

Thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A4B9AEFD-AE47-40FC-856D-F36D99204AFD_1633055589475.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	329590  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2021, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Just take a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe. Cut it to length, put a cap on each end and you will be set.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Just take a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe. Cut it to length, put a cap on each end and you will be set.
I want the “cap” to have a bigger surface area, 10” diameter maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2021, 05:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Chan View Post
I want the “cap” to have a bigger surface area, 10” diameter maybe?
Can you glue a frisbee on top?

HRG
Old 10-01-2021, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

San,
Particularly, where the cover will be an all season cover, many folks create a cover support from lumber or pvc pipe, which is created by running a long supporting member from the bow to the stern to create an upside down "keel" to support the cover. Then, if using pvc pipe, T's are inserted into the top spine of the support with a down leg to maintain the height of the cover for the full length of the supporting "spine" that will support the cover.

-------------------------------------
Also, here is a tarp support system that meets the specification of your particular support needs:

https://www.amazon.com/boat-cover-su...+support+poles

--------------------------------------

Also, If you have a windshield type boat, you can take a 2x4 or equivalent and start from the bow and take one board and have it run from the bow to the windshield. Then, another board to run from the windshield to the top of the motor. Use appropriate padding to prevent marring and rub spots and straps to hold the boards positions on the boat - prior to putting the cover over the boards. For most boats, the single ridge pole along the top center line of the boat takes care of any supporting issues and prevents water or snow pooling on top of the cover.

One idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EXSfuuSXYo

A pvc pipe boat cover system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nomWXVogSVg
Old 10-01-2021, 12:58 PM
Wallhanger

Just need one Spot to be pushed up between the troller and and my side console (closer to troller). Water seems to collect there a little. Frisbee is a good idea.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

Also, If you have a windshield type boat, you can take a 2x4 or equivalent and start from the bow and take one board and have it run from the bow to the windshield. Then, another board to run from the windshield to the top of the motor.
Note to anyone considering this advice; Be very cautious of supporting any "snow load" with your windshield as the support. Better to go from the floor up.

A heavy wet snow can come overnight when you least expect it.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:40 PM
Wallhanger

Thank you ALL, I know about the snow LoL , it’s for summer rainy days.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Chan View Post
Hi ALL,
Any members made their cover support pole before that can give me some ideas ? I am hoping for one that has a bigger base and bigger top. I need one that’s fixed height so telescopic not needed.

Thoughts
I have a support that looks like those, what I did was to install the bottom of that support to a 3 ft X2 ft. piece of plywood, it sits on the floor between the consoles and keeps the support from moving. My support is adjustable and I have it so that it clears the top of the consoles (with the windshields removed). Works great and use rubber bungie cords to hold the cover on. Once in the garage I take the cover off
Old 10-10-2021, 09:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cialone View Post
[

I have a support that looks like those, what I did was to install the bottom of that support to a 3 ft X2 ft. piece of plywood, it sits on the floor between the consoles and keeps the support from moving. My support is adjustable and I have it so that it clears the top of the consoles (with the windshields removed). Works great and use rubber bungie cords to hold the cover on. Once in the garage I take the cover off
Thumbs Up!