Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How to drive in big water - Page 9 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Minnow

This may be a silly question, but how much do people trim up their motors in rough water? The steering isn't as responsive whenever I've done it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2017, 05:14 AM
Keeper

Trim it to spot where your bow rises fastest when you hit throttle. 3-4' I'm still fishing. When your boat literally climbs the wave and you are looking at sky, then you been in big waves. 2.5 hrs to go 7 miles. Hope to never try that out again, but the old Trophy 180 handled it better than I did.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Minnow

Default Any port

We have been in bad ones from time to time. Have sought private home coves on winnipesaukee in n.hampshire and been in a 32 foot sport fisher broke motor mounts when there was no water beneath boat. Hard landing.also Lake Ontario when a penn yan next us broke apart in heavy seas and all aboard lived only due to several coolers that were on the deck. Moral is bad stuff happens. Be calm as has been said. I will always seek shelter or even beach my boat. I can get another but lives of family and friends are most important
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2017, 06:30 AM
Keeper

how about like this
https://www.facebook.com/CalumetMari...8707640836170/

or the ride in

https://www.facebook.com/michael.zra...8755003488605/
Old 08-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtulius View Post
Really great feedback. I appreciate it. I have only had aluminum boats out in rougher water. I have run fiberglass ski boats but never in more than a little chop. Are fiberglass boats safer? I know no boat is truly safe if you drive poorly, but would it be safer in a boat that rides better? I doubt I am going to ever truly put a boat to its limit as I am terrified of being in that nasty of water. But I also want to be in the safest fishing boat possible.
A few years ago three guys were coming in with a 20 ft glass boat saying
it's rough out. I said just what I like, 3-4 footers.
Others wouldn't even go out.
It's not so much the boat, it's the operator of the boat.
Slow down and watch the waves ahead of you.
But it's not much fun when you can't see over the waves.
But even worse when you can't see the waves because it's dark out.
I tell you the time coming back from..................
Old 08-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Wallhanger

Many years ago, we were up in Mn fishing on a large lake. Some guy showed up with his two teenage daughters. The rental boats were 18' Lunds with 15hp Johnsons on them. Great under normal conditions, but not in big rough water. Anyway one day an unpredicted storm blew up, and the lake got nasty real fast. This guy and his girls were out there some where. Everybody but them made it back. Near dinner time they made it in. We all asked what happened. He said he was worried and did not know how to drive in the waves, so he hugged the shore, staying a few feet of water the whole way back. His logic was if the boat sank they were right next to shore. True, it took them forever to get back in, but they made is safe and sound.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:38 PM
BReal

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjoe View Post
Almost Juls.

Wear your life preserver.
But you run a Skeeter so water wings shouldn’t even be needed since all Rangers are still on the trailer. This is a direct quote from you. I would imagine that you are trolling directly into 6 fters along with the 621s. Would love to see pics. Btw...What foil are you running...
Old 01-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Keeper

I am lucky to now have a 20' boat but still look at bad water like I did when I only had a 14' Lund/Shell Lake. More than one time I have hit the opening to the big lake only to say "No way, not today" and turning aroung to fish in calmer waters.
I also use the 45 Deg. method a lot but hug the calm shore as long as I can. I also don't push it, take my time and work thru it. I never know if I am doing it right or not, but have never had rollers come in the boat. Maybe I have just been lucky.
Ches.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ches View Post
I am lucky to now have a 20' boat but still look at bad water like I did when I only had a 14' Lund/Shell Lake. More than one time I have hit the opening to the big lake only to say "No way, not today" and turning aroung to fish in calmer waters.
I also use the 45 Deg. method a lot but hug the calm shore as long as I can. I also don't push it, take my time and work thru it. I never know if I am doing it right or not, but have never had rollers come in the boat. Maybe I have just been lucky.
Ches.
Sounds like you're doing it right. Number one thing is, to be "cautious"....and, number two...being willing to say, "No way, not today", when it makes you uncomfortable.
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com
Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 AM
Keeper

Default can we talk about safety too much ? I say no!

CAN WE TALK ABOUT SAFETY TOO MUCH?

I SAY NO!

Important decision to think about and the right choice could save your life.

You will only have 3-10 seconds to make the decision before the next wave comes in and then the boat capsizes and you are in the 40 degree water so NOW is a good time to give it some thought. This goes along with my recent post about bilge pumps. Sooner or later it happens to everyone that spends a good deal of time on big water fishing. You may be the guy that only goes out on the good days, but the problem is weather changes fast and the weather man if often wrong.

My day was about 20 years ago we had left out of Calumet Harbor (Chicago) and heard reports on radio of good Coho action in front of Pastrick in East Chicago, Indiana. It was a nice sunny day with SW winds at about 5-6 mph. So we fired up the 200hp Evinrude on the 200 Four Winns Horizon for the 8 mile trip. The ride over was a pleasant, water was cold but sun was warm. We had a nice top on the boat and a cover on the open bow with extra snaps for added security or so I thought. The Coho action was fast and furious and after about 2.5 hours we filled our box, pulled lines, and headed home. What a surprise we had when we rounded the corner at the second light and found the wind had switched to NW and picked up 10-15mph. Waves where a 6-8 and building Life vest went on immediately. After about 20 minutes of trying to find the right angle and speed to make way back west. Waves began breaking over the bow and about every fifth wave hit the windshield. So hard it unsnapped the canvas top from the windshield ripped open the bow cover and deposited what seemed 400 gallons of water in the boat and on my lap. We where instantly soaked and the boat took on an immediate squat.

Now the decision is this:

Option #1: Take the best angle into the waves regardless of the direction we really need to go. Then power on and trim up to keep the bow as high as possible to give the pump time to catch up. With an 800 GPH pump and what seemed like 400 gallons already in boat a quick guess would be 30 minutes to pump out the boat, this would be eternity in these conditions. Because this boat had a 25" extra long transom, high freeboard aft, and the front end was crippled with the bow cover ripped we went with option #2.

Option #2: Whip a 180 turn, trim the motor all the way down to give the boat a little stern lift, throttle up, and surf the waves back trying to match boat speed with wave action. I had to be extremely careful not to skate down a wave and stuff the bow into the preceding wave, being ever watchful of the unforgiving 5th wave. The whole time watching the bilge pump output. As soon as the water was pumped to the point where it was below the floor, the back of the boat began to come up. We got our wet posteriors back behind the break wall and headed to the nearest port. We made a couple phone calls for some for some dry clothes and a ride back to the truck and trailer from the marina where we launched.

At last, we and our gear were on dry land and all was well with a great new respect for changing conditions on the lake and being prepared for the unexpected. The fun is over if someone gets hurt!

Moral of this story; Be prepared, keep a exit strategy in mind and never have a boat on the Great lakes with ONLY one bilge pump.

Honda Cat

World Cat 270HT

4 - 1500 GPH bilge pumps

2 in each hull section

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...ineopen058.jpg