Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What has most improved your fishing? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-29-2021, 01:02 AM
Minnow

Default What has most improved your fishing?

What things do you feel like have most improved your fishing? Anything goes…Guide trips, tournaments, fishing partners, youtube, secret bait, kabooki dance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2021, 05:19 AM
Wallhanger

Two trips out with a charter guide for my fishing buddy and I. One teacher, two fifty something students. Best money ever spent. Should have done it ten years sooner.
Became real good friends with him and would come with me on my boat and taught me boat control.

Last edited by Clairebear; 07-29-2021 at 05:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-29-2021, 06:31 AM
Wallhanger

Being the amature in pro tourneys'. I did 5 over 2 years. That was 15 different pro's in 5 different lakes/systems. I had been fishing for over 40 years and my results were good before. This made me way more productive. Very enjoyable as well. JMO Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2021, 07:14 AM
Keeper

Time on the water, keeping detailed records of locations, water depth, season, and weather, and increased patience as I get older.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

I've never had the urge to be good at fishing. I go for the relaxation, being outside, seeing things on the shoreline. I know people who actually get mad and want to go in if the fish aren't biting. I guess I understand those who spend money want to see a return on that investment.

So for me catching isn't real important.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:02 AM
Wallhanger

Really paying attention has increased my productive time a lot. Once my kids were old enough to not require constant supervision I was able to focus lot more on the little details that make a big difference. Second is probably YouTube. The level of instruction and demonstration there is amazing. Like attending a seminar that you can review over and over sitting in the house in the boat.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:26 AM
Keeper

Fishing with guides helped me tremendously. It really helped me get confidence in techniques that I would not have tried on my own. Also really helped me start to understand how a body of water fishes.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:39 AM
Wallhanger

I'd say the introduction of fish finder/GPS units with a split screen combined with Navionics or other mapping of the lake contours.

On a new fly-in lake, we were able to study the contour map beforehand and have a good idea where potential good locations would be to fish before we even left for the trip. Once there, we immediately zoomed in on specific locations and laid down waypoints where we caught fish or if there was interesting structure.

Years ago we had to guess where offshore structure was located and estimate the location by triangulation and then use sonar to try to find it. We also had to guess where good shorelines might be based on the look of the above water shoreline, and then use our sonar to confirm if it was actually a deep shoreline or possibly an extended point. Today we can zoom right to it and immediately be within a couple of feet.

Putting my electronics to work and knowing how to interpret them has put more fish in my boat than anything else. Then you can focus on perfecting techniques specific to the structure you are fishing.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:42 AM
Keeper

Calibrating my reels is the singular most important thing I have learned / done to increase my catch rate.

As an open water troller, having the ability to replicate success on one rod across many is extremely important.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2021, 01:43 PM
Wallhanger

1. Fishing with good guides...not all of them were good
2. Helix 9, split screen, map/imaging
3. Spot Lock on my Terrova. No longer spend half of my time on boat control = 2x the fishing time.