Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Used boat prices. - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-24-2021, 09:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNorth View Post
Do you guys think prices are starting to soften? Not talking about the normal end of summer softening but the crazy times. Also, what are delivery dates being quoted on new Lund’s, Ranger’s, Crestliner’s, Skeeters and so on.

Just curious.
FN
Yes but I don't think they are going to become close to pre-Covid prices. I'm one that watches craigslist and other ads regularly and had a Marine Survey done on my boat before and after hanging a new 175 SHO on it. If you search Lund in this area there were 300-400 that came up in June 2020, last night 2982 of all sizes and vintage. There are plenty of hopeful people that think they are going to make money on what they bought at an inflated price to start. Restaurants are open and kids are in sports again and those extra funds that everybody had for a boat are going get realocated. An acquaintance with Wells Fargo said they are seeing people want out from the payments this year before they go under water. I was only slightly surprised to hear that some people have payments of $1000-1500 a month on their boat and truck. When the housing bubble starts to deflate everything else will go with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2021, 09:20 AM
Wallhanger

The doom & gloom is those that couldn't afford the boat in the first place will be in trouble. Those that could will be fine.

Nothings changed and the market for them won't either.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:24 AM
Wallhanger

i'm kinda like bubba i look at boat ads everyday even when i wasn't buying at the moment kinda like other guys look at a playboy mag.... all this talk "omg boats going up" well no kidding, a pack of bubble gum has gone up 15% theres deals out there on used covid or no covid.. i've got 4 new lunds i've been watching for about 7-8 months that have come down on price slowly but surly, just depends on the boat and the seller..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2021, 11:25 PM
Minnow

when your spending close to 90 or 100k per boat a extra 5k-8k isnt going to change your mind....
Old 08-25-2021, 03:03 PM
Wallhanger

Hmm neighbor had a 19ft glass run about. Had not notice him going out with it. He said nope had it for 2 years and sold it for $2500 more than he had into it.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:20 PM
Minnow

Default Low new supply, keeping used prices high.

I think it will take a very long time (years) to return to pre-covid price range. The thing to remember is there was a huge supply drop in new boats. Without new boats being built, there are less used ones on the market. The next issue is manufactures cant build enough (labor AND material is more expensive/hard to find) Also means new boats are more expensive than ever, worsening the supply of used boats as people will be less likely to trade up. So even if demand returns to normal (COVID inspired boaters deciding they don't need a boat), we are still stuck with a supply shortage which will keep prices higher for years to come.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:04 PM
Wallhanger

Default 2020 Ranger 1850 Merc 175 Pro XS

This boat is one year old and no way could sell this for $60 k and afford a new Ranger. My dealer in-stock boats are 250/300 and 400 hp, imagine the price tags on any of those models. When I bought this boat last summer I wanted to order a boat and sell mine a few weeks before the new one was shipped. My wife gave me great advice, buy the boat that's in stock or keep your old one, best advice for sure.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:42 AM
Keeper

Banks go by NADA values- & NADA hasn't changed. Loans haven't increased, but down payments sure would. Resale values can skyrocket but loan principal amounts wont budge

Happy fishing!!
Old 09-18-2021, 11:12 AM
Minnow

Some people in this thread were talking prices of new boats could fluctuate. I expect that pricing on new boats will continue to rise... but I can't see how a manufacturer would ever reverse course and start to lower pricing on new boats.

Has that ever even happened before?

Basically the take home I am getting is buckle up if you're looking at a new boat as they are basically jacking prices up every year by a lot?
Old 09-18-2021, 11:19 AM
Keeper

Ranger raised their prices 10% over 2021 to help paint a picture of new boat prices. I was told a year model to next year model is about 2% normally.

"Supply vs demand" economics with the new economics being "supply vs demand & shortages with supply chains"

Somewhat related to lead times. I've posted that 2 Fridays ago I had an opportunity to check out a Vexus DVX22 delivered to their CT dealer on 9/3 for a boat ordered in January. I know a 2nd dealer who was interested in becoming a Vexus dealer but turned Vexus down because some of their models had 12-14 month build times, & he said he'd be out of business waiting that long for boats. I was told this week that Ranger's running around 14 week build times for some of their models. That's part of the OPs lead time question.

Happy fishing!!

Last edited by FinmanPoozie; 09-18-2021 at 11:26 AM.