Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Rotten Transom Repair - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-14-2021, 12:09 AM
Keeper

Default Transom job

You can't beat the quality of Franks work. Or since winter is approaching, and chances are the boat is sitting - if you can do it in your garage, then you will have all the time in the world to do it yourself. I did mine and have no regrets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2021, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Hunt1,
Check with Lund.
But Lund has announced that they have composite transoms available for a lot of their boats.
Could be right for you.

------------------
However, before jumping to conclusions - really ring out your transom to see if you have any issues.

As a starter, just remove one motor mounting bolt and use a pick to check the interior of the transom for punk, soft spot or moisture.

It is quite possible that your transom is just fine but that you have electrolysis, that is causing the bubbling paint.

So, do a very good test on the transom before you get worried about it.

In addition, there are a lot of boats that have weak transoms that have run for many man years with the weak transom by simply adding a 2 inch by 2 inch or 3 inch by 3 inch by 1/4 inch thick aluminum angle from one end of the transom to the other end of the transom along the top inside edge of the motor. Have the top two motor mounting bolts run through the angled aluminum. By bracing the motor the full width of the boat - the motors torque is transferred to the full width of the transom and removes virtually all of the motors torque from the main transom board.

Best wishes
Old 09-14-2021, 12:22 PM
Wallhanger

Hunt1up, I've had the same boat as what you have for the past ten years. Two years ago I noticed a small amount of bubbling and brown staining around the scuppers. You no doubt have moisture in the transom and the chemicals in the wood are reacting to the aluminum. Mine was minimal but still had it fixed as I didn't want it to continue. I had a Lund dealer order a Lund composite transom for an exact fit and had them install it, around $4,000. Bottom line is once that's fixed, you've got yourself a nice rig to enjoy. The dealer I used was in the middle of Iowa. Appears your interest in a repair facility closer. My main point for posting was to assure you Lund does make composite replacement transoms. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2021, 12:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
Hunt1up, I've had the same boat as what you have for the past ten years. Two years ago I noticed a small amount of bubbling and brown staining around the scuppers. You no doubt have moisture in the transom and the chemicals in the wood are reacting to the aluminum. Mine was minimal but still had it fixed as I didn't want it to continue. I had a Lund dealer order a Lund composite transom for an exact fit and had them install it, around $4,000. Bottom line is once that's fixed, you've got yourself a nice rig to enjoy. The dealer I used was in the middle of Iowa. Appears your interest in a repair facility closer. My main point for posting was to assure you Lund does make composite replacement transoms. Good Luck!

Sounds like that is definitely the way to go, never worry about rot again. Wish i could have gotten one for my 87 Baron. After it's done you'll have the peace of mind that your boat is structurally solid. Hope you can get in and get it done quickly, good luck
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 09-14-2021, 07:13 PM
Keeper

Just to add my 2 cents, I did mine 5 years ago and it was well worth the effort. Looking at your pictures it appears your assumption is correct. The bubbling is a telltale sign but what I see is the transom bulging around the screws. As the transom absorbs water the wood swells making the aluminum bulge around the mounting screws. Check the motor mount bolts. If you can tighten them, that is another sign of water intrusion, as the integrity of the wood transom is being compromised. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how well these boats were cared for, even if they only got wet from washing, water got to the wood and is not able to get away so that it never dries out. Try Hennepin Marine...
Old 09-16-2021, 12:34 AM
Keeper

Where are you located? I have a 2004 Pro-V that may need a transom. Maybe we could do a double and help each other out. I'm very mechanical and have a great shop for this.

Blair
Old 09-16-2021, 11:53 AM
Wallhanger

Just out of curiosity....does Lund only warranty the transom for the original owner?
Mega 360, Mega Live
Ezee Steps
Cannon Rod Tubes, Traxstech tracks
TKI CNC angle track mounts
Lithium TM Bats w/shunt gauge
Old 09-16-2021, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

BC M,
Since Lund has been making composite transom for some time now - it might be wise to check with them for a possible new composite transom for your particular boat.

If you have the correct new composite transom for your boat, it is not that big a deal to remove the old one and install a new composite transom.

Yes, you do need to have the special tools, lifts etc. But if you do, replacing a transom is not that big a deal.

This also assumes that you have tool and shop savvy and experience. Certainly these qualities, helps the job immensely.

If you have an older boat, and there is not a lund transom made for your boat, check with lund and purchase a composite transom that is at least equal to - but may be larger in one or all directions.
With a new transom board in hand and a template of what you need from the old transom or the old transom yourself, it is just a matter of removing the old transom, cutting out the new one with a template, installing the new one, and putting the rest of the boat back together.

Best wishes.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:42 PM
Keeper

2 years ago at the resort dock on Lake of the Woods a guy remarked how nice my 1993 ProV was. He asked the exact year and then said "you got one of the good ones, hang on to it." Then he told me he has worked there for 35 years.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:28 PM
Keeper

Default ?

That’s an assumption I would not make. Can you take the cap off and poke around?