Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Perko shut off battery switch - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-19-2021, 02:46 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye2487! View Post
So really Id just need two 2 bank chargers for 3 or 4 batteries
Or 1 charger with the # of banks to match the # of batteries & save a few bucks & save a the extra pounds of multiple chargers being installed. Few lbs here, few lbs there all adds up

Happy fishing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2021, 03:21 PM
Minnow

How big do battery chargers go up to because I’ve only used a 3 bank charger
Old 09-19-2021, 04:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
So really Id just need two 2 bank chargers for 3 or 4 batteries
Best to use a bank per battery, 3 batteries = 3 banks, 4 batteries = 4 bank

Can a single bank charge two batteries in parallel,sure but it will take twice as long
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance autopilot
Navico Precision-9
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 72" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
8 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2021, 07:13 PM
Minnow

So they actually have a 4 bank charger
Old 09-19-2021, 07:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Yes there are 4 bank chargers but, I like my chargers close to my batteries. Trolling batteries are in the bow and the starting and house batteries in the stern. Therefore, I have two chargers, one for the trolling batteries and a second charger for the House + Starting batteries.

Marty
Old 09-19-2021, 08:56 PM
Minnow

That’s what I was thinking I’d do is get two on board chargers if I go that route and buy brand new boat.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

There is one other option when it comes to on board chargers that may simplify your life.

If you have a 3-battery 36 volt battery to run your big trolling motor, you can use a single bank 26 volt on board charger that has a single pair of terminals that go to the same battery terminals that you hook up with your trolling motor.

I use such a charger all of the time and it just makes charging easier.

----------------
Any time that one uses a set of batteries, i.e. 2- for a 24 volt motor, or 3-for a 36 volt charger, it is always a good idea to replace the batteries in sets with the same brand, same capacity and hopefully the same date of manufacture. Then you effectively see all of the identical 2 volt cells that are in each case all being connected together to form the larger 24 or 36 volt battery.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:49 AM
Keeper

Quote:

MinnKita Precision is available in a 5 bank now with 10a per bank. Their line was updated to have optimization options for lithiums now also.

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...rgers?id=30621

Happy Fishing!!
Old 09-20-2021, 04:51 AM
Wallhanger

yes, I would install a combiner so the batteries charged equally. but then I would still install a Perko battery switch so you don't end up with 2 dead batteries and stranded 10 miles from the ramp. while fishing you want your electronics to run off the house battery. then if your motor doesn't start you just switch to the starting battery. then switch to both batteries to charge and the combiner won't keep charging the full starting battery but would divert all power to the house battery.

one four bank charger.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:35 PM
Minnow

Geez all these options seem complicated. I guess it goes back to the earlier post on understanding the full system. For me and my little 17 foot Lund: 1. Yes for sure on the Perko switch. This is hooked up to my starter battery. The "all off" switch that comes with Lund doesn't truly turn everything off. Keeps my starter battery fully charged. Totally separate is my 24v system that runs my electric motor, it has a 2 bank charger that goes to the 2 trolling motor batteries. Done! Just that simple.

Correct, I don't have a charger hooked up to my starter battery. Going on 5 years and no problems yet. I suppose I should get a new starter battery one of these years. Worst case I suppose I could jump start my boat with the trolling motor batteries if for some unexpected reason my starter battery randomly died, but difficult to envision why that would happen. Would be rare to say the least. Better to buy a new starter motor battery prior before it dies. Probably next year now that I think about it! To be fair, I store my boat inside. Likely that helps. That goes back to understanding all of the variables.