Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Springfield air ride issue - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-19-2021, 01:23 PM
Minnow

Default Springfield air ride issue

Hello all, I have a 2013 621 Ranger with the Springfield air ride seats/bases. A gas cylinder is bad and I can't seem to find the replacement without buying the entire seat base. Anyone know who might have that part? Springfield says They don't sell the gas cylinder, which is crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2021, 08:33 PM
Keeper

Default cylinders

ive replaced my attwood cylinders, not sure what springfield uses but its likely very similar and available here https://www.mychairparts.com/gas-cylinder-only.html
Old 09-19-2021, 09:50 PM
Minnow

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2021, 12:40 PM
Keeper

Unless your very handy , replacing a gas cylinder cartridge on these boat pedestals is difficult, they are not made to be replaced like a desk chair, be careful and good luck. BTW an old and wise marine retailer once told me a long time ago that to make these hydraulic pedestals last a long time you have to bring down (compact the post) when not in use and to store it this way until you want to use it again, something about relaxing the seals. My first boat had a hydraulic pedestal and lasted over 16 years until I sold the boat. My current pedestal on my Lund (Swivl-Eze) is over 9 years old and still going strong.
Someone did this replacement a long time ago here , might try searching for it on the list of threads, don't remember when though.

Last edited by Franco Cialone; 09-24-2021 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:47 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the info! I did take it apart but it has threads on the bottom and cannot find that. That will save a bunch of money, keeping the seat down and it makes sense. Thanks again!
Old 09-25-2021, 01:13 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cialone View Post
BTW an old and wise marine retailer once told me a long time ago that to make these hydraulic pedestals last a long time you have to bring down (compact the post) when not in use and to store it this way until you want to use it again, something about relaxing the seals.
I can neither confirm nor deny the accuracy of that statement however as a point of reference I left my air ride pedestals in the full up position for 17 years and also did not have any issues.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:25 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cialone View Post
Unless your very handy , replacing a gas cylinder cartridge on these boat pedestals is difficult, they are not made to be replaced like a desk chair, be careful and good luck. BTW an old and wise marine retailer once told me a long time ago that to make these hydraulic pedestals last a long time you have to bring down (compact the post) when not in use and to store it this way until you want to use it again, something about relaxing the seals. My first boat had a hydraulic pedestal and lasted over 16 years until I sold the boat. My current pedestal on my Lund (Swivl-Eze) is over 9 years old and still going strong.
Someone did this replacement a long time ago here , might try searching for it on the list of threads, don't remember when though.
Here is the thread I believe you were thinking about, from 2015...

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=450713

Cheers
Old 09-30-2021, 12:31 PM
Keeper

Thanks therealjoeblow, by the way, Attwood/Swivl-eze does sell a "238" size locking solid post, (12"-32") I know cause I bought a 32" when looking for another hydraulic bike seat post for my Lund. The solid post was only $50.00 Can. and I just cut it to my size with the bike seat in place. Also bought an adapter (black plastic) that fits on top of the post that will accept a seat mount. This was a lot cheaper than buying another hydraulic post and this post will last a long time.

Last edited by Franco Cialone; 09-30-2021 at 12:34 PM.