Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Which Smoker to Buy????? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Fishoil Fishoil is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Freedom, Wisconsin.
Posts: 1,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchjerker View Post
you dont have to add wood to it once you load it initially?
No, you use only a couple of small chunks of wood when starting and that's it. After the meat warms it ceases to take any amount of additional smoke flavor anyhow. Another thing I've discovered is that if I put to much wood in the box my meat will come out sooty and have a bitter taste from the extra smoke. I do butts for as long as 18 hours and never open the door between starting them and taking them out for final prep.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:43 PM
walleyedmike's Avatar
walleyedmike walleyedmike is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dyer, IN, USA.
Posts: 1,126
Default Brinkmann

I've been using a Brinkmann for the last 20 years, still using the original heating element, works great.
__________________
As always, I am............... walleyed
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 PM
INmitch INmitch is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Decatur. IN
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishoil View Post
No, you use only a couple of small chunks of wood when starting and that's it. After the meat warms it ceases to take any amount of additional smoke flavor anyhow. Another thing I've discovered is that if I put to much wood in the box my meat will come out sooty and have a bitter taste from the extra smoke. I do butts for as long as 18 hours and never open the door between starting them and taking them out for final prep.
Once meat hits 125 degrees the smoke ring will not go any deeper. The chemical reaction stops. It will keep taking on smoke flavor as long as it's exposed to it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 PM
bigwalleye1's Avatar
bigwalleye1 bigwalleye1 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East Bethel, MN
Posts: 2,565
Default

I bought a SmokinTex based on a recommendation I rec'd here in a thread about a year ago. Couldn't be happier. Smokes on 2 oz of wood, very easy results, all stainless steel. Dynamite unit and cheaper than a cookshack. 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, and a great forum of knowledgeable folks. Couldn't be happier, haven't had a bad result yet, and I smoked all winter long in MN.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 AM
wiggle wiggle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, USA.
Posts: 400
Default not Bradley!

I have a Bradley smoker. I thought the idea of it taking care of itself was great! But it has such terrible uneven heating that I am constantly rotating racks. If I didn't, the bottom racks of meat would be brittle and dried out while the top racks would still be nearly raw. Very unhappy with the Bradley
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Fishoil Fishoil is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Freedom, Wisconsin.
Posts: 1,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalleye1 View Post
I bought a SmokinTex based on a recommendation I rec'd here in a thread about a year ago. Couldn't be happier. Smokes on 2 oz of wood, very easy results, all stainless steel. Dynamite unit and cheaper than a cookshack. 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, and a great forum of knowledgeable folks. Couldn't be happier, haven't had a bad result yet, and I smoked all winter long in MN.
Th Smokin Tex is a knock off of the Cookshack, it's virtually identical. Another great smoker!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Scooter112 Scooter112 is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggle View Post
I have a Bradley smoker. I thought the idea of it taking care of itself was great! But it has such terrible uneven heating that I am constantly rotating racks. If I didn't, the bottom racks of meat would be brittle and dried out while the top racks would still be nearly raw. Very unhappy with the Bradley
I think you will find this with all vertical smokers that move air without a fan, as the heat rises the heat is absorbed into meat and cools the air so you have to rotate the trays to have even distribution of heat.

I am on my third smoker and I think I found the one I like, a trager pellet grill. It can smoke at somewhat low temps, not low enough for cheese but it can smoke ribs, pulled pork , sausage and its so easy even I cant screw it up. These have a fan that helps burn the pellets and circulates the heat somewhat evenly.

My first smoker was a masterbuilt and the heating element went out, alright for the occasional smoker but not really well built. I also have a bradley electric that I would love to get rid of but last time on craigslist had no hits, its an alright smoker but it takes some learning and after using the pellet grill I had no use for it

whatever you buy it will not be as easy as you think, it takes a lot of experimenting to get it right so dont get discouraged. The other thing is dont get caught up on the price of the more expensive ones, it doesnt take that many experimental racks of ribs or briskets at 30-60 a pop to make up the difference from a good smoker to a crappy smoker.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM
perchjerker's Avatar
perchjerker perchjerker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Farmington Hills, Manton MI
Posts: 17,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggle View Post
I have a Bradley smoker. I thought the idea of it taking care of itself was great! But it has such terrible uneven heating that I am constantly rotating racks. If I didn't, the bottom racks of meat would be brittle and dried out while the top racks would still be nearly raw. Very unhappy with the Bradley
I have never had that problem with my Bradley

try putting a sheet of heavy duty foil on the heating element, just lay it loosely on it

Thats a tip from the Bradley forum



__________________
Mary had a little pig,
She kept it fat and mellow.
And when the price of pork went up,
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat , fishing , meat , recipes , smoker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.