Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Transfering an out of state boat title to Mich - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Terror

Default Transfering an out of state boat title to Mich

Getting a new boat, but she's coming from out of state. Anything special I need to know when it comes to tranfering the title or registering it in Michigan? Extra fees, headaches, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Transfering an out of state boat title to Mich

call your dmv office they;ll give the scoop .that way you got it from the horses mouth not here say .good luck on the new rig
Old 02-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Wallhanger

I did the opposite, new boat from Mi. brought it home to Oh. Paid the sales tax then the normal registering fees. If you pay tax in another state make sure you have proof, any difference in the total tax you'll need to pay, that is if you paid less outta state than you would've at home. That's how it worked out on my end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Bought new boat outside of MI 4 years ago. I paid the sales tax in MN therefore not required when back in MI.

When back in MI, showed title, paid registration for trailer and boat - that's it.

However, you will need proof of insurance before you can haul that baby off the dealer lot. It will take a few days to get this paperwork done so don't wait until the last minute. Fax this stuff ahead of time to the dealer so they can process the paperwork ahead of time.

Regarding finances - if financing through the dealership, have them fax the info to you. This will give you time to go through the details and have time to ask questions. You don't want an issue to come up after the long drive that could have been resolved before you left.

I never been to that dealership before I left, but had so much paperwork out of the way when I got there, it was a pretty smooth transaction.

Be prepared to leave w/o the boat, don't set yourself up with problems afterwards. I made the long drive w/o any high expectations. I was fully prepared to drive all the way home if there was something seriously wrong with the deal or boat.

If the trip was long like mine, try to stay a couple of nights. I arrived the day before. The next day, I spent with the dealer going over the boat, etc. I spent that night and picked up the boat the following morning for the long drive home. And I'm glad I did that. I had a freak mishap between an 18 wheeler and an compact car coming off from an off-ramp. Basically, the compact made a 480 degree spinout right in front of me. I managed to escape, but don't think I would have been as fortunate if exhausted.

Also, make sure you have some basic tools with you incase you break down. If the trailer has bearing buddies, buy another set. I've known them to come off during the first trip. You don't want to leave your boat stranded in un-familiar state. If at all possible, have your dealer measure your proper ball height (and get the right size ball). Getting your trailer height correct will make that long drive alot smoother.

Finally, I had a very good friend come along. I paid his way. Having company with you, helps tremendiously. One, you have a second set of eyes looking over the rig making sure you didn't miss anything. Makes that long drive home easier.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the info. Luckily, it's a private sale and the boat is coming here. Sounds like it will be pretty much hassle free. Waited on hold for 15 minutes+, 3 times today on my breaks at work with the secretary of state. No luck. Can always count on W/C for some answers though!
Old 02-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Minnow

Terror,
I did this same thing last spring all went well as you say pretty much hassle free as long as you have all the paper work signed over properly enjoy the new boat