Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Yamaha Tiller help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-16-2016, 09:25 AM
Keeper

Default Yamaha Tiller help

I have a Yamaha tiller . It is on a used boat I purchased last fall been trying to get all the bugs worked out and get some updated stuff added to get it up to date a little . Was out yesterday and the motor was running fine . We move 3 times and all was well . Then it didn't want to start I mean nothing . When you turn the key nothing no noise . I checked kill switch it was ok . Shift lever was in the big N with the throttle on start, nothing . It's like the motor isn't hooked up to the battery . And it was just running fine . Oh the trim and tilt works just like it should . Is there a fuse that could be blow and cause this nothing at the Key switch and still leave the power trim and tilt working ?? A sensor in the shift linkage ??? The switch it self ??? Any ideas on where to start .
Thanks in advance for any and all help .
Tight lines,
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Minnow

Only a couple Duh... things I can say is:
1: Is the emergency kill clip in place on the kill switch, or behind key?
2: It has to be in neutral to start, and if so, then shift it a bit forward / reverse then back to neutral and try again. I don't believe it has any inline fuses.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Wallhanger

I think there are some fuses and or breaker on the motor. check them.
Also, check and clean the connections to the battery. And the battery may be bad. Check the voltage.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Wallhanger

There is a neutral safety switch that failed on mine. It can be bypassed. Look under the hood and watch your linkage move see if there is a switch it touches when in neutral. Mine had a couple of bullet connectors that i could disconnect and plug the feed bullet connectors together to bypass it till I got a new switch. Just remember if you do this it will also start in gear.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:16 AM
Keeper

Pulled the kill switch clip and replaced the clip to it . Went both ways from center with the shift leaver . Battery is a brand new and all the connections were cleaned and tightened when battery was installed . I'm leaning towards it being the neutral safety switch !!!! but I am going to look for a fuse to .
Old 04-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

Kill switch will kill the spark, not the starter. It will still crank,but never fire up. Neutral shift cutout switch is the more common issue with these Yamahas. They will kill the starter as you described. They can fail, or simply loosen up and get out of position enough where the actuator surface on the shift link will not close it when in neutral. That happened to mine a couple times til the second time I put some blue loctite on the threads. Never had another problem.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:07 PM
Keeper

I checked all the fuses that I could find (8) they all looked fine . I traced the linkage on the shift lever . It moves a switch arm . It looks like it is moving the arm on the switch quite a bit . But I don't know whither it has to push it clear flat against the switch body or not . I pressed it in further with the handle of a old tooth brush and tried the key and still nothing "They can fail, or simply loosen up and get out of position enough where the actuator surface on the shift link will not close it when in neutral. " So MarkG how close does the switch arm have to be flat against the body ?? Or just move quite a bit ? You remember ?? Also thinking back I am sure it did it before but started working again . Before it quit all together .
Old 04-17-2016, 02:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman_IN View Post
I checked all the fuses that I could find (8) they all looked fine . I traced the linkage on the shift lever . It moves a switch arm . It looks like it is moving the arm on the switch quite a bit . But I don't know whither it has to push it clear flat against the switch body or not . I pressed it in further with the handle of a old tooth brush and tried the key and still nothing "They can fail, or simply loosen up and get out of position enough where the actuator surface on the shift link will not close it when in neutral. " So MarkG how close does the switch arm have to be flat against the body ?? Or just move quite a bit ? You remember ?? Also thinking back I am sure it did it before but started working again . Before it quit all together .
Mine was a plunger type switch but not adjustable. Yours is likely the same. If it's still tight in its holder, it's likely failing. Easiest way to check if it's failing and is really your problem is to bypass it by jumpering across the switch circuit. (make sure the motor is actually in neutral and Pull the kill switch tether so it cannot start !!) Turn the key see if the starter spins. If it does, replace the switch. If not, you have some other problem. Possibly the keyswitch itself. Get an ohm meter, start tracing where you're losing 12v (or ground) to the starter.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Keeper

Had the same issue. It is the neutral safety switch. I just did a bypass of the switch and all worked fine.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:48 PM
Keeper

Smile

I was fishing with a friend on Erie . His boat is working !!! we were Jigging and got our fish !!!! I had another idea I took cowl off and tried it again to day and I was pretty close and I hear a soft click when the key turns on. With cowl on I can't hear that . I put my thumb on the shift lever just enough to crowd it toward forward just starting to come out of neutral hit the key just to see what would happen. Ans motor turned over and almost started . I letup on shift lever nothing when I tried it . I went out and mowed grass and when I was coming thur garage I tried it again just lean on shift lever boom motor turns over . Tried it again motor almost started . So I am thinking the switch is working the linkage is not doing what it needs to with out helping it . I was doing this standing on the ground at the back reaching in so I climbed in boat tried to do it from the drivers seat can't duplicate the lean I guess nothing . So does the linkage need adjustment ??? Which wires do you need to work with to bypass switch ? I'm not much of a wrench !!!