Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Good walleye fishing lakes without using bait - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Minnow

Default Good walleye fishing lakes without using bait

I am looking for some good walleye fishing lakes in Ontario where you don't need to use bait, as I really don't like to mess with bait, and would rather catch fish trolling or drift jigging with a plastic tail. Looking for numbers (50+ walleyes per day) and size (average size at least 17 inches, with some in mid to high 20 inches). Would also like lake to have some decent pike fishing with numbers of pike in the low to mid 30 inch and up size. Please include time of year you fished the lakes or if you think time of year matters (have consistent walleye fishing all year long).

Here are a few lakes that I have fished that either meet or come close to the criteria:

Vaughn Lake: Fished it in late August and early September, and third week of June, lots of walleyes but many on the smaller size, and has some large pike

Felsia / Hurst Lakes: Fished in June. nice average size and numbers, but not much for pike, concentrated at inlet to Hurst from Attwood Lake

Samuelson Lake: Small lake, fished in mid-June, lots of 16-18 inch walleye, again no pike

Kag Lake: Fished in early September, best overall size of walleye, average of 20-21 inches, but not in numbers the time of year I went as they were deep. Can catch some decent sized pike but not numbers

Elbow Lake: Fished in late June/early July, lots of walleye at the falls coming from Muskrat Lake, mostly 16-18 inches, with a few pike but no size

Percy Lake: Fished in June, water higher and weeds just coming in, good drift fishing with jigs, some pike but nothing to write home about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Wallhanger

Your criteria fits Lake St. Joseph perfectly with the possible exception of trolling. I've only fished it in June but know others who go up every August, so it must be good then, also. Leeches, crawlers, minnows live, frozen or salted all work but I keep going back to a jig and twister because it catches just as many fish without the hassle. I've trolled a spoon in the river and gotten walleyes and northerns but usually don't troll. St. Joe is a barbless, one hook (or treble) lake so Rapalas need hooks removed. The numbers and overall size fit what you are looking for.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Minnow

Which outfitter do you use on St Joe as there are several, and what advantages are there with that particular outfitter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Keeper

Wink

Slate Falls Outposts, c/o Vern Hollett. Time and again, you will see rave reviews about their customer service, nice outpost cabins, good boats, great fishing. I am sure there are other outfitters who are good, so not bashing anyone. I have flown in with Slate Falls several times and have been very happy, as were the rest of the guys in our group. Lake St. Joe is the best!
Old 01-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Wallhanger

The reality is really great walleye fishing is super easy to find.

Abamasagi north of Nakina was incredible for numbers - no bait required.

Best lake I have fished within Ontario was North Caribou, insane numbers and impressive average size.

Already mentioned by others, but Lake St. Joe is a very, very close second, and maybe even with North Caribou. Specifically Slate Falls camp on Eagle Island at the west end of the lake. Every hump and rockpile was crawling with good sized walleye.

Honourable mention goes to Miniss lake, also with Slate Falls. Last September while there I mostly fished for pike, but the walleye fishing was amazing. On one cold, rainy day the other two members of my group put well over 200 fish in their boat.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Slot Fish

X2 on st joe eagle island, we went there last year and had a great trip!!! If you like smaller lakes try Hooker lake with Slate Falls, it's the biggest lake in a system of 6 lakes connected by the Miniss river. We fished that system every other year for the last 10 years ( through another outfitter ) . Our average size on walleyes was around 17 to 18 inches. A slow day on walleyes would be around 30 a guy , good day 50 to 100. Biggest walleye we caught was 26 inches. Biggest pike was 38 inches. We always went the last week of July, which meant the walleyes were in 15 to 30 ft of water and the bigger pike were near deep water on main lake structure. Some of the guys in our group like to use crawlers on their jigs, but gulp minnows work just as well. Our group spent about 80% of the time fishing walleyes, so the pike fishing data is low. The river is full of reeds and I could picture it being full of pike early in the season.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:50 PM
redcedarguy

What he said, Lake St. Joes.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkott View Post
Which outfitter do you use on St Joe as there are several, and what advantages are there with that particular outfitter?
Thought I posted a response on my phone, but I don't see it, so I'll try again. I fish from the Winoga Lodge outpost cabin on St. Joe. It's advantage is that it's in the middle of a very good fishing area and 25 miles down the lake from the nearest camp. It's a boat-in cabin so there's no weight restriction, yet it's isolated like a fly-in, but cheaper and you can bring your own boat, electronics, etc. I used to stay at Camp Lake St. Joseph at the NE end of the lake. Great people,, but the camp is more rustic and there's more travel to fishing areas. Their advantage is being less expensive. The Eagle Island cabin of Slate Falls is a fly-in even further down the lake than the Winoga outpost. It's on my "like to try someday" list. If you're looking for guides and American plan, Old Post is your choice.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Wallhanger

There isn't really lakes that are "better" for artificials.
Any good walleye lake is a good lake for fishing artificial lures.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Although not in Ontario, Tramping Lake, near Snow Lake, Manitoba, has many trophy walleyes and pike, and has been very good with plastics for me. It is a drive-in lake, requires a short one mile trip up a river to get into the lake. I fished it for 4-5 years, but haven't been back for maybe 10 years. The lake has a 22" max keep limit for walleyes, last trip 5 out of our 8 guys got 28" or over walleyes, Master Angler Awards.

Bill