Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Snap Weights - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Minnow

Default Snap Weights

A deep diving Reef Runner will go down 15' with 50' of mono out. The question I have is when using the 50 50 method does the Reef Runner still go down 15' after attaching the snap weight? The example I'm using is Reef Runner deep diver 50' back goes down 15' attach a 1 oz Snapweight (Offshore says 1oz 50' back will troll at 17' 1.5 mph). Will this setup go down 32'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Wallhanger

You have a (relatively) straight line from your rod tip to the crank 50 feet back. Now you add a snap weight and let out another 50 feet. The weight creates a hinge point between the rod and the crank. The angle between the two sections of line will vary depending on speed and crank design. The diving design of the crank creates resistance as you troll, and that has a tendency to want to straighten out the line, so the weight won't necessarily go down to 17'. On a spinner rig, there is no diving action to the bait, so 50' of line out will give you that 17' of depth.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 09-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the help. I'll continue with the 20+ method until I get more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Wallhanger

How deep do you want to get? I have done away with all of the math when using snap weights. I hook them five feet in front of the bait and send em down. Use 1 oz to get small baits down ten feet, 2 oz to get baits to 20, and 3 oz baits to get baits to 30.

Another great thing about this method is you do not need to remove the weight to net the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
How deep do you want to get? I have done away with all of the math when using snap weights. I hook them five feet in front of the bait and send em down. Use 1 oz to get small baits down ten feet, 2 oz to get baits to 20, and 3 oz baits to get baits to 30.

Another great thing about this method is you do not need to remove the weight to net the fish.

How far back on the different weights to get the to your desired depths?
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 09-13-2017, 08:36 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
this^^^^^?????

I would give your way a try if you don't mind sharing.
I hate those dang snap weights. I've made a million charts based off recommendation and never end up near my desired depth with crankbaits.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post

It depends on the lure, but is quick to figure out. Each seems to be 50-75 feet. The more drag the lure has, the more it takes away from the effectiveness of the snapweight (but at the same time has greater dive characteristics w/out the weight). I drop them to 85 feet, using the weight to depth ratio I stated, then bring them up 5 ft at a time until they are no longer touching.

I could probably chart each lure, but it is honestly too simple to just figure it out each time. I have noticed no ill effects with catch rate with this method either.

I recently began putting my snap weights on a split ring, then adding a snap swivel in reverse. I just clip them to the front eye that attaches my leader to my main line. Run 5ft leaders and no need to remove. No dealing with clips either.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
It depends on the lure, but is quick to figure out. Each seems to be 50-75 feet. The more drag the lure has, the more it takes away from the effectiveness of the snapweight (but at the same time has greater dive characteristics w/out the weight). I drop them to 85 feet, using the weight to depth ratio I stated, then bring them up 5 ft at a time until they are no longer touching. Too many variables to give accurate distances anyway.

I could probably chart each lure, but it is honestly too simple to just figure it out each time. I have noticed no ill effects with catch rate with this method either.

I recently began putting my snap weights on a split ring, then adding a snap swivel in reverse. I just clip them to the front eye that attaches my leader to my main line. Run 5ft leaders and no need to remove. No dealing with clips either.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:20 AM
Eye1or2

Quote:
It depends on the lure, but is quick to figure out. Each seems to be 50-75 feet. The more drag the lure has, the more it takes away from the effectiveness of the snapweight (but at the same time has greater dive characteristics w/out the weight). I drop them to 85 feet, using the weight to depth ratio I stated, then bring them up 5 ft at a time until they are no longer touching.

I do the same thing only I use inline trolling weights. Put a swivel 6' ahead of the lure, inline weight and a leader. Rig your weights so that you can change them quickly. I hate snapweights, have never understood why people think they are a good idea.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

It's a quick and easy way to change depths.
Makes a shallow running hardbait run deeper when targeting suspended fish.

I'll use them with leadcore also to add a bit of depth when needed, usually on Superior.

Al