Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minnkota Ulterra side screw comes loose - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Minnow

Default Minnkota Ulterra side screw comes loose

I have a Minnekota Ulterra, it is brand new and have only put a couple hours on the boat and the side screw comes loose on the quick mount bracket. Does anyone have a better solution to fix this or know if this is a common problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2582.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	480.5 KB
ID:	276033  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Keeper

Does it have a lock washer on it? If not, I recommend putting one on it. I have one on mine and it never comes loose. Also, you can put a lock in the hole in the back end of the quick mount for added insurance in case the side screw does come out.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 PM
Minnow

Lock washer is on there but still rattles loose. Just curious if others have done anything different. Thanks for the help though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 06:04 AM
Wallhanger

I would think a drop or two of blue Lock Tite will do the trick for you. Start out with a small amount and work from there.
Have a great day.
JIM
Old 10-18-2017, 11:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman44 View Post
Does it have a lock washer on it? If not, I recommend putting one on it. I have one on mine and it never comes loose. Also, you can put a lock in the hole in the back end of the quick mount for added insurance in case the side screw does come out.
I have removed the screw completely and placed a padlock on the end.
Keeps the motor stationary and secure.

Also on steep ramps my prop will hit the front trailer post and removing the lock and pulling the assembly back helps to keep the prop in one piece.

Al
Old 10-18-2017, 01:39 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeyes06 View Post
Lock washer is on there but still rattles loose. Just curious if others have done anything different. Thanks for the help though!
I know this is dumb, and I don't want to insult your intelligence, but is it possible the female part of the threads are boogered up, or cross threaded? That would cause it to wiggle out. Seems very odd that even with a lock washer it's coming out.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Wallhanger

I put a bolt with a wingnut in the rear slot, as well as the bolt you are referring to. It makes the whole assembly more rigid and is easy to remove when needed.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeyes06 View Post
I have a Minnekota Ulterra, it is brand new and have only put a couple hours on the boat and the side screw comes loose on the quick mount bracket. Does anyone have a better solution to fix this or know if this is a common problem?
I've heard when this happens the boat is totally ruined. Probably best off giving it to your brother in-law.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:15 PM
Minnow

Just thinking my lock washer didn't tightened down enough to make it work right. Will probably add a lock nut or as some others suggested. Thanks for all the input!
Old 10-19-2017, 06:13 AM
Minnow

Wiggle the motor back & forth on the mount as you get to where it seems tight & you may get a little more of a turn on the bolt to get it to seat,