Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Verado 200 L4 Oil Change - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 12-20-2018, 08:37 AM
Slot Fish

Default Verado 200 L4 Oil Change

Hey guys,

Of course, I made a mess the last time I changed my Verado oil. So, Iím looking to invest in a decent dipstick pump so I can do this more easily. Iím also thinking I can use the pump for my Ferris Mower oil changes too.

So two quick things:

1. There are lots of pumps out there...anyone have particularly good experience with one that they can recommend? Electric would be fine.

2. Iíve read several times where guys have had trouble getting all the oil out with the pump and not being clear when the pump hose has hit bottom. Apparently there are some obstacles and its not a straight shot down the dipstick hole (...easy boys). Am I looking at the minority here and in reality its not that complicated? Can anyone confirm the length of hose that needs to be inserted to fully reach the bottom? Perhaps I can put a witness mark on it so I can keep fishing (pun intended) it down in there.

Not a huge issue...but if you have a moment and can provide some insight it would be great!

Thanks,

1900Tyee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Wallhanger

Pumping the oil out is not the recommend procedure because it doesn't allow all the dirt/sediment to flow out of the oil pan. You should also be draining your oil after the engine has reached operating temperatures to further insure you get the most dirt out of the engine as possible.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1900Tyee View Post
Hey guys,

Of course, I made a mess the last time I changed my Verado oil. So, I’m looking to invest in a decent dipstick pump so I can do this more easily. I’m also thinking I can use the pump for my Ferris Mower oil changes too.

So two quick things:

1. There are lots of pumps out there...anyone have particularly good experience with one that they can recommend? Electric would be fine.

2. I’ve read several times where guys have had trouble getting all the oil out with the pump and not being clear when the pump hose has hit bottom. Apparently there are some obstacles and its not a straight shot down the dipstick hole (...easy boys). Am I looking at the minority here and in reality its not that complicated? Can anyone confirm the length of hose that needs to be inserted to fully reach the bottom? Perhaps I can put a witness mark on it so I can keep fishing (pun intended) it down in there.

Not a huge issue...but if you have a moment and can provide some insight it would be great!

Thanks,

1900Tyee

I did not do my own, but I have to wonder with all the later models like the 150-4s having a drain nipple to accept a hose if this may be something that can be added?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlF2viwQOnc
Solix 12 G1

Last edited by Diesel Pro; 12-20-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Here is the engine owners manual:

https://dmna.ny.gov/nynm/manuals/Mer...ado_Manual.pdf

Go to pages 150-154 for the directions.

If you don't have, obtain the recommended engine change oil diverter funnel and you will be set to go.

https://nuwavemarine.com/oem-quicksi...SAAEgL0uPD_BwE

You can use a pump, but the removal of the lower drain plug insures that everything circulating in the engine sump drains out. This is not the case if one uses an extraction pump through the dip stick hole:

Best Wishes

Last edited by REW; 12-20-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:07 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Here is the engine owners manual:

https://dmna.ny.gov/nynm/manuals/Mer...ado_Manual.pdf

Go to pages 150-154 for the directions.

If you don't have, obtain the recommended engine change oil diverter funnel and you will be set to go.

https://nuwavemarine.com/oem-quicksi...SAAEgL0uPD_BwE

You can use a pump, but the removal of the lower drain plug insures that everything circulating in the engine sump drains out. This is not the case if one uses an extraction pump through the dip stick hole:

Best Wishes
This diverter funnel is for the L6 Verado not the L4
Old 12-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
I did not do my own, but I have to wonder with all the later models like the 150-4s having a drain nipple to accept a hose if this may be something that can be added?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlF2viwQOnc
Yea...its just kind of a really stupid design. The drain plug off the bottom of the cavitation plate just makes so much more sense.

Anyway, I took a stab at calling Verado directly and got some great information from the gentleman I spoke with.

We probably all know the pre-draining procedure to tilt up then tilt down etc. The additional helpful information I received from the tech I spoke with was the following:

1. Do your oil changes with the oil cold. Not hot, not warm...but cold. Two reasons. First, it minimizes the spilling you will get when you remove the filter (remember, the filter is threaded down into its housing so you have gravity working against you in the drip department). Second, the Veradoís are known for hiding oil. While that is the reason for the pre-draining tilt procedure, its much easier to have most of the oil already in the sump if the engine has been sitting for long enough to be cold. Once its run, and hot, the oil is really driven into all the difficult spots that you are trying to get it out of. This, from Verado directly.

2. When the plug is pulled, the motor should be tilted to the trailering position, and then also turned so the drain hole aligns more vertically with gravity. This way, the oil only runs on part of the chap housing and it is easy to wipe off. If you leave the motor in the full down position, then the oil runs down along the side of the motor, on top of the cavitation plate, over the propeller etc. etc. and makes a mess all over (I could have made THAT YouTube video!).

3. A pump is a perfectly acceptable way to do it as well. Still cold. He said in their service training that they performed the oil changes both ways...drain and pump, either one is fine.

4. I kind of new this one, but, back to the hiding oil issue. The motor spec is for 6.3 US quarts but they said you always have to plan for residual oil that doesnít fully come out. And if you overfill its a big problem. So, they said refill with only 5 quarts, check it with the dipstick and add oil in no more than 1/2 quart increments until you just get between the hash marks on the dipsticks. As long as you are there, you are good to go.

So there you have it. I thought I would post that as it may help others.

Thanks guys,

1900Tyee
Old 12-20-2018, 11:38 AM
Wallhanger

I bought a 200 L4 Verado this spring. I have changed the oil twice now since I bought it, both times tilting and turning the motor and removing drain plug. It didn't make a big mess but I can see how it would have if you don't turn the motor. Both oil changes I did, it seemed like I got all the oil out. It would have been nice if the capacity would have been either 6 or 7 quarts instead of 6.3 qts.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Keeper

This is the one I use on my SHO 250 and my 115 Suzuki. Works great!! The dealers wouldn't sell them if they were not approved for use. No one drops the pan in an automatic transmission anymore either, guess what, they last a lot longer than they used to....

https://www.tracoutdoor.com/shop/flu...il-extractors/
Old 12-20-2018, 03:54 PM
Wallhanger

On My 200 L 4 I just bend a paper plate into a 1/2 circle and place under the plug.
Route the oil into a FUNNEL and then into a WIDE MOUTH type of container and You're good to go..
HDS 8 Gen 1
Old 12-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Minnow

A trick that was shown to be by a dealer and his service guy. Add the following to the previous suggestions. Take some wide masking tape and tape to the bottom half of the drain hole creating a drip edge. No more oil running down the motor. Also, punch a hole in the filter an hour or so before you start the oil change. All the oil will drain back to the crankcase and again no mess.