Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
To those retired - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2019, 09:35 PM
Keeper

Retired in May 2018 at 54. Sleeping in, taking naps, fishing the non-windy days, loving life. Never looked back. Donít miss any of my working days.

All my toys are fully maintained and upgraded. All my tools are organized. All my projects are done around the house. It didnít take long to get caught up.

The best thing about retirement is not having to jam fun into a weekend and not having to sweat the Sunday Night/Monday morning flopping in bed, dreading the week to start again.

I can ride this new life just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 06:48 AM
Keeper

I'm like some of the other guys. I liked my job and most everyone I worked with. It was the corporate BS that wore me out. I had worked for 40 years and saved for 35. My financial advisor told me we could make it all work with what we had saved. So, I decided to go at the first of the year in 2018. I have been retired for a little over a year now and have no regrets. In fact, I highly recommend it! What's not to like about 6 Saturdays and a Sunday in every week?
Old 02-02-2019, 07:18 AM
Wallhanger

Yep, my boss a super guy, for many years retired. The new guy was a total jerk, could not wait to get out. If my old boss stayed for a couple more years, so would I have.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:20 AM
Wallhanger

Loved the job, my boss, and the people I worked with or came into contact during the day. The bit of a "mistake" was informally talking about retirement about a year ahead, and giving official notice 3 mo. prior. The transfer of tasks/duties that started almost when I first opened my mouth, left me essentially showing up for work the last few months with absolutely nothing to do except cruise the net and read WC! My "assistant" became the heir apparent, and as I had already trained, or at least introduced, him to what I did, I only had to consult with him if there were questions - primarily about his doing a hiring search to replace himself as he stepped into the larger role. No new, or even on going, tasks for me. Probably the most boring sement ever of my work life.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Wallhanger

I was forced to retire because of my health at 50 yrs old. but I had already decided I would never completely stop working. I had took a 2 week vacation and stayed at home. as the time went by I was stir crazy. my shoulders and neck hurt from tension. I had no one to do anything with as they were at work. at the time we had a 30 and out retirement (the co went bankrupt and our retirement was so underfunded we lost it) which I planned to use. then I planned to get me another part time job to take up my spare time.

I liked my job making cable for power companies. I loved the guys I worked with and the comradery we shared. but my dr said he was taking me off work and that I needed to file for disability. even tho I was in bad health I about went nuts the 1st couple of yrs. now I do ok with not working. I did a lot of fishing with my little brother until he died a few yrs ago. then I stopped fishing except for a trip to erie with my son each yr and a trip to fl to fish with my brother n law each winter. but this yr im going to try and take the granddaughters fishing a few times.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Wallhanger

The last years really went fast. I was working on adrenaline which is a ticket to early death. The big difference late in oneís career is it is easy to run out of gas due to work without enough energy left to live on the evenings and weekends.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

I liked my job and no matter how many hours a day I put in they always went by quickly. There was nothing unusual about the last two years, now the last month was a bit unusual. Cleaning up files and completing required documents was a change.

I am grateful for my working life.

Jack
Old 02-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

No. I was passionate about my job. I love working with people of all personalities etc. When I retired, I really wanted to work one more year, but the company I worked for gave me a very good package to hang it up, so I did. I am now working part time in the same industry...and collecting my monthly pension checks. No regrets.
Minn Kota Terrova
Lowrance Elite 7Ti
Cisco rod holders
Old 02-02-2019, 04:30 PM
Minnow

when I retired the first time, my co-workers couldn't stop wondering why I was constantly smiling on my last month on the job, after 30 years working for the telephone company and putting up with all the bs , enough was enough, \i'm still having nightmares about that job.(25 years later)

when I retired the second time , after 22.5 years of working at our local police detachment, I was sad to see it end , but when you move to a new city and a new province, things are going to change and my retirement is complete. it seems strange not to plan my schedule of things to do and not have to wonder what shift I would be on .
Old 02-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Minnow

I was fortunate enough to work out a deal with my employer who allowed me to slowly work into retirement by only working Tue-Thurs. for the last 2 years of my employment. I loved my job but was afraid I would get bored in retirement (not the case at all) and when I mentioned my fears to my employer he suggested I go part=time to test the waters. It was a fantastic way to transition.