Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
To those retired - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2019, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I didn't know I was retiring until 2 months before my last day. Retirement wasn't even on my radar. Upper management made a couple decisions which caused me to say; I'm outta here!

Now I am extremely grateful that management did such a horrible job of managing. I am loving retirement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 09:56 PM
Keeper

My last two years were horrible. My supervisor had forced out several senior employees nearing and past retirement age. I was one of the last one's hanging on and he made my life ****. I had 12 months to go before my contract was done, so I discretely started to look for another job. I had four job offers and left. Yes I left some money on the table, but it was well worth it. Funny thing is the supervisor was promoted and hates his new job, his reputation is not good with many current employees, and none of the retired people. Karma is a *****.
BTW, I love my new job and the people I work with.

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them !
Old 02-06-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Sportfish,
The important thing to do when working, is to concentrate on your job at hand. Retirement, when it comes will take care of itself.

If you dream about what if and when, you will lose focus on your current job, and you may find yourself with an early boot out from what you are doing.

The best thing to do, is to get up each day and to the things that you have to do for the day to the best of your ability.

What comes tomorrow will come tomorrow, if tomorrow comes for you.

Be safe
Old 02-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks to all for your responses. I agree with just about all. I have a great job and work with great people. It is common practice of my employer to hire in waves of about 10 to 15 years. Unfortunately I am one of the last of the wave I was hired in. After 35 years I am tired.
Here's to those of you that made it!

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:28 AM
Wallhanger

I'm different than most apparently.
I have grown to hate my job. Management has taken a good company and made it a bad one. Employee morale has plummeted, both in the office and out in the shop.
I finally got tired of it and contracted a financial consultant, something I should have done years ago. I told her I wanted to retire at 68. She worked the numbers and showed me how I could achieve that goal. I now have 51 days to go.
My big mistake was telling them about 15 months ago that I planned to retire. I figured it would take about a year to train my replacement effectively and I wanted to do right by the company. Big, Big, Big mistake. They just gave me a trainee from the shop about 3 weeks ago. There is no way he will be up to speed by the time I leave. Not my problem. The problem is that now they treat me like I'm a pariah. No respect at all, despite 21 years of loyal service. If I had it to do over again I'd give them two weeks notice and let them fend for themselves.
I was asked if I wanted a retirement party. Asked!!!! I told them not to bother, which I'm sure makes them happy.
I won't miss it one iota.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Slot Fish

Been out 8 years, retired @ 60. We had to give 60 day notice, retired December 31 went pretty fast because winter was coming, worked on a dock loading farm equipment and spotting semi trailers. Just go to work don't count the days it will come.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakefish View Post
I'm different than most apparently.
I have grown to hate my job. Management has taken a good company and made it a bad one. Employee morale has plummeted, both in the office and out in the shop.
I finally got tired of it and contracted a financial consultant, something I should have done years ago. I told her I wanted to retire at 68. She worked the numbers and showed me how I could achieve that goal. I now have 51 days to go.
My big mistake was telling them about 15 months ago that I planned to retire. I figured it would take about a year to train my replacement effectively and I wanted to do right by the company. Big, Big, Big mistake. They just gave me a trainee from the shop about 3 weeks ago. There is no way he will be up to speed by the time I leave. Not my problem. The problem is that now they treat me like I'm a pariah. No respect at all, despite 21 years of loyal service. If I had it to do over again I'd give them two weeks notice and let them fend for themselves.
I was asked if I wanted a retirement party. Asked!!!! I told them not to bother, which I'm sure makes them happy.
I won't miss it one iota.
when I retired from the telephone company, my boss "treated" me to a retirement lunch of a hot pork sandwich. the guys I worked with (who were all in a different work centre) couldn't be bothered to send a card, and the guys who I worked with in the small WorkCentre in red lake (including me there was 4 of us) took me out for steak dinner at one of the guys cabin.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Slot Fish

I was ready for retirement financially but wasn't really planning on going when I did, Ford offered incentives for Salaried people which doesn't happen often... so I took it and only made the decision a coupla months before I was to retire... I was a manager and had to get rid of 40% of my people... So I was busy finding some of them jobs.... stressful to say the least! The time went really fast for me.... then the first day of retirement… was like 10,000 lbs off my shoulders!
Not fun and I planned a trip the week after I retired to get away and forget the last several months... was the right thing to do. Then came back and went fishing!
That was 12 years ago, no regrets!
Mark
Old 02-12-2019, 07:48 PM
Minnow

Default Hoping for a parachute

Been working since I was 10 (farm boy) worked hard my whole life. Hoping new owners want to consolidate to reduce capital and a buy out is offered in lieu of transfer.......cuz I won’t go....no walleyes there.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:18 PM
Keeper

13 months and 3 weeks into retirement and it has been Heaven , I do miss my customers and employees , but , as stated by others , the corporate BS of todays world convinced me to leave when I did , was planning on working till 70 , but after 45 years on the job managing a grain elevator/agronomy center , the last merger was the straw that broke the proverbial camels back and I pulled the plug at 65 1/2 , best decision of my life , well next to asking wifey to marry me 47 years ago that is .

I got to bow hunt whitetails during the rut for the 1st time in my life …… AWESOME !! …… 2 trips to Canada , and probably the single biggest thing is that I get to do what I want when I want , my secretary that retired 5 years ago told me that very thing and by golly she is 100% correct .

I gave 6 months notice , and then worked 2 months longer than my projected retirement date to make sure of a smooth transition , the 1st week off was rough , since then you cannot take the smile off of my face !!