Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gull Rock Chain of Lakes Map Chip - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-10-2019, 09:36 PM
Slot Fish

Default Gull Rock Chain of Lakes Map Chip

I will be fishing the Gull Rock Chain of Lakes in June. I have Humminbird Helix 10’s and a Helix 7 on my boat. These are all Gen2 units. Which map chip is best detailed for the lakes? The new Lakemaster Ontario chip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Keeper

Heading there myself end of June 1st time. All of my research has lead me to 2 options. The newest and best online updatable Navionics chip which I own. And the LakeMaster Ontario Canada V1 chip which I intend to buy. The Navionics map detail is very limited when I viewed on my unit and online. I have read multiple sources online stating the LakeMaster is the way to go and we both know how awesome that compatibility is with our Birds. I'll be following your thread too incase the jury has a different answer.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:28 AM
Minnow

are you talking about the gullrock chain of lakes south of red lake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 11:47 AM
Wallhanger

I did not realize LM now has an Ontario chip. For the past 4 or 5 years, I've used the Navionics Canada chip in my Humminbird to navigate Lac Seul. The Navionics as most people probably realize provides only 20' contour lines so it's great for keeping you from getting lost but only so-so at keeping you off the rocks.

For the non hi-def lakes (which is everything except border lakes) does anyone know if the new LM Ontario chip buys you anything over the Navionics? My guess is they're the same.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Slot Fish

Yes. The Gull Rock Chain of Lakes near Red Lake Ontario.

I am also interested in the depth contours the new Lakemaster Chip has.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Minnow

I have units that use the navionics chip , one has the contours the other doesn't . but once you see where the other boats are, you don't really need to see the contours.

on gullrock the reefs are marked with red and green markers , with the exception of the gullrock itself. usually someone puts a white marker on it.

talk to your lodge owner and have him mark up a map for you and he will put you on fish and talk to the others in the camp that you are staying at, gullrock is a great lake to fish and you should have a great trip .
Old 04-12-2019, 01:54 AM
Lunkerr

Based on previous knowledge of navionics in Canada. It may benefit you more if you have live mapping feature on them birds. You can easily make a map of small area you choose to pick apart. As others said the Lodge owner where you are will help with hazards . What camp you staying at?
Old 04-12-2019, 07:33 AM
Slot Fish

Staying at Five Lakes Lodge.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Minnow

you won't have any trouble getting fish , even if you don't think you bought the right chip. ian wil show you where to go and if you are still having trouble he will go out with you to see what you are doing wrong.

five lakes is a great camp .
Old 04-12-2019, 04:09 PM
Slot Fish

What week in June? Iíll be back up there then. You wonít have trouble finding fish. The V1 card works fine and the lake is marked well compared to others. Just a few spots to avoid all together and youíll be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk