Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Knots / braid to mono - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-08-2019, 07:52 AM
Wallhanger

I use a palomar knot at the swivel end of the leader, and an improved clinch at the jig end.

The palomar is stronger than the clinch and ensures that if I snag, the leader will break at the jig knot which leaves me the leader to re-tie to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
I use a palomar knot at the swivel end of the leader, and an improved clinch at the jig end.

The palomar is stronger than the clinch and ensures that if I snag, the leader will break at the jig knot which leaves me the leader to re-tie to.
Hey Thump55, is there a way to tie a Palomar knot to the swivel end of the leader once it is already connected to your main line, or do you do it before connecting? The way I tie the Palomar knot, you can't bring the last loop around something that is already connected. I use it on all of my terminal tackle, but not elsewhere. Maybe I'm missing something?
Old 05-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

THANKS for all the replies. Long time ago i tried the small crane swivel. I didn't like it getting it up in the eye as I like a little longer leader and it's not easy to always know where the swivel was prepping for a cast. Maybe even harder now as the most visible item is the crankbait.

Prepping several poles where i have good light is and has been always one of my options.

There is the possibility after the first of year another surgery to clean up some of the detail I'm missing. Until then it's some compromising. Thanks to all and your great ideas!

Most I've kinda tried, but there were some pearls in there!!!!!!!!

On another note, the board used to be the dead sea. Seems to be making a comeback. New members?

It was pretty robust during the day of Scott.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:59 PM
Minnow

I have gone to the surgeons knot when I need a leader on my line. A really simple knot to tie as the old eyes get more years on them.
Surgeons Knot
Old 05-08-2019, 11:50 PM
Minnow

Agree on the surgeons knot. I have never had a failure at the knot. I do add an additional pass through, which I think helps with slick braids.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
Hey Thump55, is there a way to tie a Palomar knot to the swivel end of the leader once it is already connected to your main line, or do you do it before connecting? The way I tie the Palomar knot, you can't bring the last loop around something that is already connected. I use it on all of my terminal tackle, but not elsewhere. Maybe I'm missing something?
No, you have to tie it to the swivel to leader first, and then tie the swivel on to the mainline.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:35 AM
Keeper

I use the Fg, improved Albright and back to back Uni knots. The FG is the best, but hardest to tie. Usually use the Albright as it is good at going through guides. The back to back Uni knot is probably easiest with poor eye sight. I would go with a size 16 or 14 swivel and keep leader under 3'. It will go through guide if you accidentally real up to far. That is what I use on my lead core rods. Makes changing leaders quick and easy. Learned that from Gary Parsons and Keith about 20 years ago at one of their Walleye seminars. Doesn't hurt guide of a trolling rod since you are not casting.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Keeper

I use the same knot for everything (Braid, mono, Flow) but don't know the name. A guide showed me the knot years ago at a seminar, have tried others, but go right back to this one. Very easy to tie and strong. Just pass your main line thru the eye of whatever you want to tie to, then fold back on main line, make a loop 2" up and use your other hand to hold that loop. Then take tag end and wrap it around the doubled line 5-7 times, then loop it back up and pass it thru the loop you had pinched by your fingers. Wet line and pull slowly on main line. Once cinched, pull on tag end then cut off. I have even used this on Braid to Flow by just making a loop on each line to serve as the eye. Not as smooth as an alberto but much easier, at least for me. I used to have Knot wars on my phone, I loved that app but it didn't get updated to ISO 11 and no longer works. Good luck, lots of knots out there.
Ches.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:13 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW View Post
I use the Fg, improved Albright and back to back Uni knots. The FG is the best, but hardest to tie. Usually use the Albright as it is good at going through guides. The back to back Uni knot is probably easiest with poor eye sight.

I agree with JMW. I really like the FG knot, It is the thinnest knot known for joining two lines. When I tie the FG properly it looks like a machine did it, but my eyes are going downhill and I struggle tying the FG while on the water. I've started using the double uni-knot more often. I can still tie it in the boat.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Keeper

I saw a RP knot or Royal Polaris (sp) That I thought would be easy but the dexterity in my hands along with the eyes going at 58.

Swivels are ok when trolling because you can control the speed of the line through the guides, but casting a spinning rod. You need a line to line knot.