Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rew? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Rew?

I know you build rods so here's a question. Unfortunately I forget the brand of reel, line or rod but a friend had terrible problems with line twist. You know, when it loops over the tip. Anyhow he switched the reel with line over to another rod, and walla, no line twist. He said the only difference in rods seemed to be that the next guide after the tip was half the distance on the no twist rod verses the twist rod. So the question is, if you have line twist problems, would adding an extra guide work? I seem to be plagued with line twist often. I do all the tricks about flipping the spool over, letting all the line behind the boat etc, and the twist seems to always come back.
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2019, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Shell,
If a person wants to add an extra guide near the tip, there is really no issue to add an additional tip if one wishes to have the extra guide.

But I wonder which tip top is on the rod that has the line twist issue.

If the rod with the line twist problem does not have the following guide, the installation of this particular tip in the right size and color might help quite a bit.

The elongated and different shaped braces do a great deal to minimize tip looping and wind knots:

https://www.mudhole.com/RingLock-Medium-Tops

--------------------------------------------------------
I don't recall if you mentioned the particular line being used, but in any event; whenever one has an issue with line twist on a fishing line and are on a boat try the following:

Remove every element of any type of hardware, or hooks or sinkers, or lures, or snaps on the end of the line. Then, with the boat moving slowly forward, start to pull line off of the reel and let it drag in the water. Once there are a 100-200 feet of line in the water, the drag from the water on the line will be sufficient to pull all of the rest of the line off of the reel. I assume that there is a good arbor knot on the end of the line so that the line will not leave the reel once you are at the end of the line. Now, with all of the line off of the reel and the tip of the rod down next to the water, drag the line for a 1/4 mile or so at trolling speed. This process will completely wet down the line, stretch the line and will remove all twists from the line. Then, making sure that the drag is set tight enough so that the spool does not just free spool and put twists in the line - with the boat stopped, and the tip of the rod right next to the water reel the line back onto the spool.

Tie on your terminal tackle and jigs, bait and or lures and go back to fishing. When fishing, just make sure that when you catch a fish that the drag is set just right so that you do not turn your rod handle and not reel in line. If you turn your rod handle and not reel in line, you are just twisting the line.

If after fishing for a few hours or a few days, you notice twists in your line again, just repeat the process. As far as I know this process will remove all of the line twists and give you many hours of fishing before you may have to do it again -- as long as you do not have terminal tackle that is twisting the line when you are fishing. But, even if you are twisting the line, you now know how to remove all of the twists.

====================
But certainly, if you want an additional guide added to the rod, or one of the anti tip loop tip tops called the Ring lock tip - you are certainly welcome to have that done to the rod.

Best wishes.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

By the way, some reel setups and some rods are just more prone to generating twist in a line.

So, if you happen to have a couple of spare spools, you can load each of the spools with line, and then take the rod with the spare spools to the lake and do the line behind the boat procedure with no terminal tackle on it for a good distance. Then, repeat the process for each of the other spare spools. Do, this process, even if the reel has been freshly loaded by your self using any method, or loaded by a fishing shop using their machine. I really know of no process that really does a great job on a spinning reel to insure that the line twists are gone and that the line is properly stretched onto the spool except buy doing the line in the water process.

Repeat for all spare spools.

Then, when fishing, if you notice that you are starting to get twists, just grab a spare spool, swap in the spare spool, thread the line through the guides and go back to fishing until that spool starts to develop twists.

------------------------
By the way, if one uses a braided line, you can almost say good by to line twists. Because with braid, even though the line gets just as twisted as mono on the same reel doing the same things, it normally does not result in loops catching on the rod tip top, guides or reel.

Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

By the way, some reel setups and some rods are just more prone to generating twist in a line.

So, if you happen to have a couple of spare spools, you can load each of the spools with line, and then take the rod with the spare spools to the lake and do the line behind the boat procedure with no terminal tackle on it for a good distance. Then, repeat the process for each of the other spare spools. Do, this process, even if the reel has been freshly loaded by your self using any method, or loaded by a fishing shop using their machine. I really know of no process that really does a great job on a spinning reel to insure that the line twists are gone and that the line is properly stretched onto the spool except buy doing the line in the water process.

Repeat for all spare spools.

Then, when fishing, if you notice that you are starting to get twists, just grab a spare spool, swap in the spare spool, thread the line through the guides and go back to fishing until that spool starts to develop twists.

------------------------
By the way, if one uses a braided line, you can almost say good by to line twists. Because with braid, even though the line gets just as twisted as mono on the same reel doing the same things, it normally does not result in loops catching on the rod tip top, guides or reel.

Best wishes.

p.s.
If there is an extra person around while you are at home you can do the same thing as the line in the water with the help of an additional person. Just go out to an open area - like a foot ball field or some other open area. Have yourself or your helper grab the bare end of the line, and pull all of the line off of the reel - and lay it all down on the open area. Then, have the helper come back to the tip of the rod, and have a couple of cloths, towels, handkerchiefs or cloth gloves to hold the line and put gentle tension on the line with the hands about 2 feet apart. That way, as the line is reeled back in, the tension on the ground and the final slipping tension of the cloths in the persons hands remove any twists that might have gotten into the line and the clothes will also wipe down the line as it is going onto the spool. Again, easy to do when one has some free time and a helper to remove the twists from the lines on a fishing reel.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:14 AM
Wallhanger

He doesn't reel while drag is being taken out does he?

That's where I see most line twists coming from.
Or maybe jigs without a swivel.

Al
Old 08-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Minnow

I know I'm not the one being asked but I know on my builds I have a lot of luck not having that twist by putting an extra runner guide up by the tip like that. The weight difference is minimal and the performance is definitely there.