Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone with a Ranger Aluminum Boat? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-17-2020, 03:23 PM
Minnow

Default Anyone with a Ranger Aluminum Boat?

I’m still leaning toward the Lund Impact XS 1875 but last Friday I visited a marina near my house that sells Rangers and I got a good look at the Ranger VS1888WT. I came away impressed, that is a REALLY well thought-out boat with a lot of unique features. The price point was great too, and that was with a 150 Merc on it. Anyone running this boat? How do you like it? Also…what do you guys hear on Ranger Aluminum boats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2020, 05:56 PM
Minnow

i looked at them 2 summers ago. I thought they looked good too. I really didn't want another mercury after the last merc i had was such a lemon. I also found out the ranger aluminum's where having hull cracking issues (which i hear they changed designs because of) then i found out that they are renamed trackers or nitros owned by bass tracker and that was it I was out. I would pick the lund or an alumacraft over it any day. Layout was nicer in alumacraft and lund also. I saw a guy in one of my other fishing groups that went through 2 hulls cracking. It wasn't good.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:34 PM
Wallhanger

Ranger aluminum boats are not rebadged Trackers, not even close. They are made in a separate factory. I looked hard at the Rangers, at Cabelas in Ackworth Ga. Really liked them,, almost pulled the trigger on a 1670 WT, but the store was 470 miles from home. I purchased my Tracker instead 30 miles from home and am extremely happy.
Lowrance Hook 2 7 Split Shot Helm
Lowrance Hook 2 5 Split Shot Bow
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew 2.7 Eco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2020, 07:46 PM
Minnow

Sorry I was wrong they share the same hulls as triton. (same co owns tracker). I just looked it up again. There are several good long posts about the hulls cracking on this site and crappie.com. You can look it up its easy enough. ranger and tritons are basically the same with the exception of carpet, paint, trailer ect.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:51 PM
welll

A. They have some nice features and upgrades vs some of the others

B. There were some hull cracking issues the first two years but that seems to be done, Management decided to learn on the run to build with aluminum in a new facility and with new welders and it failed IMO

C. The parent company who also owns Nitro and Tracker bought Ranger after the boat was released.

D. Lots of design elements from Triton which is the same parent company.

Personally I think they are a good value vs big 3 Alum Boats
Old 02-18-2020, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

I've owned a couple. of Lunds and one Ranger aluminum. I found the Ranger to be better laid out in general. I'd look carefully at the deadrise for each boat if choppy ride is important. My guess is the Ranger would have the deeper V but that's a guess.
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT -- sold
2018 Ranger RP190, 115 Yamaha VMax SHO -- sold

Boatless
Old 02-18-2020, 12:14 PM
Minnow

Got a good look at one on Bull Shoals last year when I was down there. I really liked the look and the layout. Only thing I couldn't find any info on was if you could put a kicker on. That's pretty much kept me away.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

yes
Old 02-18-2020, 02:11 PM
Slot Fish

I can confirm for a small time the ranger aluminum's were made in a tracker factory or at least parts of them were. This was due to overwhelming demand and that has since changed. They are no longer made in that same tracker factory.

I would say for a awhile maybe 1.5 years ago we had posts on here popping up quite often about the hull cracking issues, but been silent for 1.5 years since. I would say they are a really nice aluminum boat assuming you are okay with a mercury. I love their layouts, fiberglass dashes are nice vs cheaper plastics on Lund and Alumacrafts. And I am a Lund and Alumacraft guy and you could convince me to get one.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
I can confirm for a small time the ranger aluminum's were made in a tracker factory or at least parts of them were. This was due to overwhelming demand and that has since changed. They are no longer made in that same tracker factory.

I would say for a awhile maybe 1.5 years ago we had posts on here popping up quite often about the hull cracking issues, but been silent for 1.5 years since. I would say they are a really nice aluminum boat assuming you are okay with a mercury. I love their layouts, fiberglass dashes are nice vs cheaper plastics on Lund and Alumacrafts. And I am a Lund and Alumacraft guy and you could convince me to get one.
The dash on my 205 Comp is also fiberglass. The difference is Alumacraft doesn't gel coat the surface. I suspect Lund is also glass under the plastic looking surface.