Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Is Minnkota Ulterra Worth Extra Cost... - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 07-19-2020, 03:07 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetleap View Post
If I was a younger man, I would not go with an Ulterra after my experiences. I've been told by MK that I have to go up to the bow and turn off sonar every time I stow. Otherwise I would burn out the transducer, 4 of them in just over 2 years. Now I bought another new one. It's a little over 2 months old and it's starting to rust on the motor where it rests on the cradle, plus I still have to run up there and turn off sonar every time I stow. So, if I was younger, I wouldn't go with an Ulterra.
So, does everyone else that has one also find that they have to go up front to turn off the Sonar???? I would think the remote would have that function on it???? Sounds like a pain to me.

whip2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2020, 06:05 AM
Wallhanger

So apparently you're not at the bow to fish. I would either mount a power switch for the bow sonar on the dash or move the sonar to the dash if you don't fish at the bow.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetleap View Post
If I was a younger man, I would not go with an Ulterra after my experiences. I've been told by MK that I have to go up to the bow and turn off sonar every time I stow. Otherwise I would burn out the transducer, 4 of them in just over 2 years. Now I bought another new one. It's a little over 2 months old and it's starting to rust on the motor where it rests on the cradle, plus I still have to run up there and turn off sonar every time I stow. So, if I was younger, I wouldn't go with an Ulterra.

Reach over and turn your master switch off and then back to on. As long as your front graph is powered through the master switch you should be able to shut down it down.

Mark
Old 07-19-2020, 07:50 AM
Wallhanger

I had a similar thought, why is the front unit on if you are at the helm? Bob
Old 07-19-2020, 07:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
Reach over and turn your master switch off and then back to on. As long as your front graph is powered through the master switch you should be able to shut down it down.

Mark
HB says you should not power off. A proper shutdown only occurs if you use the power button to turn it off.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:32 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
I had a similar thought, why is the front unit on if you are at the helm? Bob
Here is how I do it. I come to a location and I drop the ulterra in the water. I then run up and turn on sonar. I’m at the helm with the big motor on watching the front sonar for fish. When I see a fish I run up and put a waypoint on the fish via the cursor. Then I work that waypoint from the
bow. When done there turn off sonar and move to another location and start the process over again. I do not have a hub and am not networked. I would buy a hub but my thought is it would break or be a problem like most of my fishing equipment. My stuff is all pretty new but most of it just frustrates me cause it breaks or doesn’t work as advertised. Again turning off and on sonar on the ulterra every time sucks but I guess I have to as I’ve gone through so many ducers.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:39 PM
Wallhanger

I made a wireless remote control for an ATV winch that could be easily adapted to turn a sonar on and off.
I made it with a remote control I bought on eBay.
I wired it to a switch I purchased on Amazon.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:05 PM
Wallhanger

A phone/tablet app that lets you do some basic screen functions would be great ....like:
Phone touch waypoint, sonar on/off, switch between prest screens, ....

Need a smart guy who can write interface apps and make some money!

Marty
Old 07-19-2020, 04:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post
So apparently you're not at the bow to fish. I would either mount a power switch for the bow sonar on the dash or move the sonar to the dash if you don't fish at the bow.

I would rather fish from the console. My son does fish from the bow. It seems strange to me that you need to shut off the locator just to move to a new spot. I LOVE the idea of the Ulterra. Iím not sure I love the execution of it.

A guy in our fishing league has one and says itís great when it works. It sometimes doesnít want to stow or deploy all the way without playing with it. If thatís the case the Terrovabwould be more than sufficient. Hopefully bugs will be worked out by next spring.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
I would rather fish from the console. My son does fish from the bow. It seems strange to me that you need to shut off the locator just to move to a new spot. I LOVE the idea of the Ulterra. Iím not sure I love the execution of it.

A guy in our fishing league has one and says itís great when it works. It sometimes doesnít want to stow or deploy all the way without playing with it. If thatís the case the Terrovabwould be more than sufficient. Hopefully bugs will be worked out by next spring.
The bugs are gone if installed properly. 2017 was the last of the stow and deploy problems if you wipe the shaft down a couple times per season with a water based silicon lubricant as the manual tells you. 2 1/2 years without any kind of problem for me. Bob