Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Running multiple transducers for one locator - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-08-2021, 12:20 PM
Minnow

Default Running multiple transducers for one locator

Was wondering how many are running more than one transducer for the same locator?
For my new Gen4 Helix 12 MSI, I plan on running two side imaging transducers and one 2D, high speed transducer (XNT 9 HW T).
This way, I will have an unobstructed view, left and right without having to raise any motors on the transom. Also, since the side imaging transducers are not the greatest at maintaining bottom and depth readings at speed and when taking off, the regular transducer mounted in the normal position should work much better. The two side imaging transducers will be mounted farther to the left and right than normal, not next to the XNT 9 HW T.
I believe this is accomplished by connecting the two side imaging transducers to a Y cable, then the middle transducer is Y'd to that cable. I think the additional side imaging transducer is around 350 and the XNT 9 HW T will be left over from the new Helix 8 I am installing on the bow, since I am using the Minnkota built-in transducer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2021, 02:47 PM
Minnow

Running a Helix Gen2 unit with one side imaging and one high speed 2D with a Y cable. I could never get a consistent bottom reading at 50 MPH with the side image transducer. As long as my motor isn't in the negative trim range, both sides display well. It did take a lot of adjustment to get to this point, though.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homegrown1 View Post
Running a Helix Gen2 unit with one side imaging and one high speed 2D with a Y cable. I could never get a consistent bottom reading at 50 MPH with the side image transducer. As long as my motor isn't in the negative trim range, both sides display well. It did take a lot of adjustment to get to this point, though.
I did that, expensive way to go. It was before the built in msi on the minn Kota and ended up moving one SI to the trolling motor. I have to trim the big motor out a bit to get the best view from the single SI transducer. The separate 2D is much easier if your boat does over 50 to keep hooked up to the bottom. Make sure you get the 2 correct Y cables for your setup. Bob
Used the wrong post reference. Was for 007's setup
9 M SIDB Y and 9 M SILR Y

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 02-08-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2021, 06:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondJmsBond998 View Post
Was wondering how many are running more than one transducer for the same locator?
For my new Gen4 Helix 12 MSI, I plan on running two side imaging transducers and one 2D, high speed transducer (XNT 9 HW T).
This way, I will have an unobstructed view, left and right without having to raise any motors on the transom. Also, since the side imaging transducers are not the greatest at maintaining bottom and depth readings at speed and when taking off, the regular transducer mounted in the normal position should work much better. The two side imaging transducers will be mounted farther to the left and right than normal, not next to the XNT 9 HW T.
I believe this is accomplished by connecting the two side imaging transducers to a Y cable, then the middle transducer is Y'd to that cable. I think the additional side imaging transducer is around 350 and the XNT 9 HW T will be left over from the new Helix 8 I am installing on the bow, since I am using the Minnkota built-in transducer.
I use three. I have a through hull and two side imaging. I attended a Helix class where they were touting dual side imaging and at the time I was having an issue with really dark images on one side and HB was putting me through the ringer, First change transducer, next hook it up to someone else's unit, next change the cables Finally after all that HB had me send it them only to tell me what I learnt here, a known board problem. After the repair all working fine but I am not sure I see much of a difference between this and identical unit I had on another boat that was single. Curious what others say, I know it was talked about before I just forgot.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 02-11-2021, 10:02 AM
Wallhanger

One thing you may have to watch out for is where your 2D is mounted if it is lower then the SI transducers you will see it on your SI screen as SI goes from the waters surface to the bottom.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
One thing you may have to watch out for is where your 2D is mounted if it is lower then the SI transducers you will see it on your SI screen as SI goes from the waters surface to the bottom.
Not sure what you mean "will see it" do you mean you will see the image of the transducer or noise from it. I don't think you would see noise given different frequencies but not sure what you mean.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 02-11-2021, 11:16 AM
Minnow

The marina that is setting this up for me on the new boat also leads me to believe that the right side is only looking right and the left side is only looking left. Needless to say, I am not all too familiar with it at this point, but since they have done this on other boats, I trust he is telling me the truth. I also think I will be saving a "shortcut" button for viewing the 2d transducer at speed and another for viewing the 2 side imaging transducers when trolling.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondJmsBond998 View Post
The marina that is setting this up for me on the new boat also leads me to believe that the right side is only looking right and the left side is only looking left. Needless to say, I am not all too familiar with it at this point, but since they have done this on other boats, I trust he is telling me the truth. I also think I will be saving a "shortcut" button for viewing the 2d transducer at speed and another for viewing the 2 side imaging transducers when trolling.
Yes that is what happens. Great option if you have something that can block a single transducer. I was only commenting that in my experience on a helix G2 I don't know if I see any more detail. I am curious what others found.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 02-12-2021, 03:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Not sure what you mean "will see it" do you mean you will see the image of the transducer or noise from it. I don't think you would see noise given different frequencies but not sure what you mean.

OOpppss brain fart forgot you were asking running two SI transducers, when running one SI transducer and 2D lower on the transom you will get a line on your SI as the SI sees the 2D as an object in the water Colum.