Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Kicker on 1875 Impact - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2021, 12:12 AM
Keeper

Default Kicker on 1875 Impact

Hey guys, I know in past posts I have mentioned that I would never own a kicker, due to extra expense, weight, hassle, more trouble tubing and wakeboarding, etc. However, I probably pull cranks 75% of the time during summer. The 80lb. Terrova works fine on calm glassy days, but isn't always up for the job when the wind picks up. Plus, when I am camping for days on end, I don't have a way to charge batteries. So, I am planning on pulling the trigger on a 9.9 Pro Kicker this summer. I am already planning on the tiller for simplicity and maneuverability, and the EFI. Do any owners of Impacts, or other boats of that size have insight on on how it will affect ride performance? Will this cause my boat to list? Would you get the 20" or 25" shaft? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2021, 07:03 AM
Wallhanger

I don't have an Impact.
I don't tube or ski therefore my Pro kicker is not in the way at all. I really didn't notice any difference in the way the boat handles.
I mounted the kicker on the port side. My boat does not list.
If you don't bolt your kicker to the transom it is quite easy and fast to remove it.
There is a specific way to store it off the boat to prevent oil in the crankcase from migrating into the combustion chambers.
It is explained in the owners manual.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:43 AM
Keeper

Have a '18 1875 Impact with 9.9 pro kicker (non-efi) I'm pretty sure it's the 25" shaft.

I have not felt any listing, or noticed any effect on ride.
I have the same issue as you, calm to slight chop the 80lb Terrova works flawlessly at speeds <1.5mph. Anything over 1' chop or 10 mph winds and it starts to struggle.
I then put it in "4 wheel drive" and use the kicker at idle speed or slightly over, (have Trollmaster control), tie bar to the main motor to stay straight forward, and the Terrova to maintain speed and direction.
If I didn't already have the kicker (carried it over from previous boat), I may have considered upgrading to a 36v 101lb Terrova. In think there's room for a third battery, but would take some maneuvering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_180430.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	560.9 KB
ID:	326042  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2021, 07:47 AM
Wallhanger

Is that an 1875 impact? Have not had any issues with mine causing problems. Chance if you have not raised your main motor up. You might want to raise it. Adding more weight to the back of the boat. Allot of times the main motors are mounted to low from the factory anyways. Most people with impacts would go with the 20 inch shaft. I would not wait to buy. If you can find a 9.9 efi prokicker snap it up. Inventory is very low. I mounted mine on the port side. Figured driving solo would offset the weight. Plus my starting battery and ladder are on the other side. I also went with the tiller controls. When trolling you have to go to the back of the boat anyways. To deploy the lines. Did not see any reason to go remote controls. Plus my last kicker got moved to two different boats. As I bought new ones. Very easy to do with a tiller. Plane on getting one of the remote throttle controls right away.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
Is that an 1875 impact? Have not had any issues with mine causing problems. Chance if you have not raised your main motor up. You might want to raise it. Adding more weight to the back of the boat. Allot of times the main motors are mounted to low from the factory anyways. Most people with impacts would go with the 20 inch shaft. I would not wait to buy. If you can find a 9.9 efi prokicker snap it up. Inventory is very low. I mounted mine on the port side. Figured driving solo would offset the weight. Plus my starting battery and ladder are on the other side. I also went with the tiller controls. When trolling you have to go to the back of the boat anyways. To deploy the lines. Did not see any reason to go remote controls. Plus my last kicker got moved to two different boats. As I bought new ones. Very easy to do with a tiller. Plane on getting one of the remote throttle controls right away.
Snowking, Just curious, I've been pondering this for my 1775 Impact. Why would you mount a 20" on a 25" transom, not sure that would work well in a heavy chop?
Old 04-30-2021, 12:36 PM
Keeper

Just added a Suzuki 9.9 to my 1875. No problems except the realization that speed control is almost mandatory. So what’s another $500 in the hole in the water? It’s a 25” unit-

Last edited by Daddybigfins; 04-30-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:28 PM
Keeper

Speed control? You mean like a Troll Master? I was really hoping that isn't necessary.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:13 PM
Keeper

Yes
Old 04-30-2021, 08:40 PM
Minnow

I think if you measure the spot you want to mount your kicker, you will find it is between 20" and 21"from transom to bottom of hull. If that is the case a long(20") is needed. I have a long(20") on a 2075 ProV and it was previously on a 1825 Explorer Sport(the predecessor to the Impact). Mounted on either boat the cavitation plate is one inch below the hull. Both boats had 25" transoms and required xl(25") primary motors.

There is nothing stopping you from mounting a xl(25") kicker. Be aware it may drag on occasion if trailered in the down position. My neighbor found this out on a 1775 with a single axle trailer.

Last edited by D WEST; 04-30-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by D WEST View Post
I think if you measure the spot you want to mount your kicker, you will find it is between 20" and 21"from transom to bottom of hull. If that is the case a long(20") is needed. I have a long(20") on a 2075 ProV and it was previously on a 1825 Explorer Sport(the predecessor to the Impact). Mounted on either boat the cavitation plate is one inch below the hull. Both boats had 25" transoms and required xl(25") primary motors.

There is nothing stopping you from mounting a xl(25") kicker. Be aware it may drag on occasion if trailered in the down position. My neighbor found this out on a 1775 with a single axle trailer.
A 25 may possibly drag in the water in the raised position as you travel across the lake!