Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
5 Days and Counting - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Minnow

Default 5 Days and Counting

I’m giddy as giddy can be. You wouldn’t think a 54 year old man who has been going North to Canada for nearly 30 years would be capable of such excitement. My dad who was my best friend and partner for almost all those trips passed away this Spring so this one will be bitter sweet in many ways. I will definitely be thinking about him as this was truly “our trip” each year. He absolutely adored the Canadian Bush and the many fly-in trips we shared together. I plan to enjoy a Bud Heavy in honor of my Pops and hope he is upstairs sharing alongside of me. With that bummer-opening lets move on to this trip to Arc Lake with Slate Falls Outposts…….can’t wait to get there!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2021, 07:27 PM
Minnow

Here’s to “Pop’s”. I’ll be tipping one for him too SweetD. 10 days and counting till I cross. I can hardly contain myself and I’m driving my wife up the wall!
Old 08-29-2021, 07:57 PM
Slot Fish

Great story. Sorry for your loss, but you deserve to be super excited. Have a great trip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2021, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

I know all the feelings!!! Have a great trip!!!

Bill
Old 08-30-2021, 06:59 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetD View Post
I’m giddy as giddy can be. You wouldn’t think a 54 year old man who has been going North to Canada for nearly 30 years would be capable of such excitement. My dad who was my best friend and partner for almost all those trips passed away this Spring so this one will be bitter sweet in many ways. I will definitely be thinking about him as this was truly “our trip” each year. He absolutely adored the Canadian Bush and the many fly-in trips we shared together. I plan to enjoy a Bud Heavy in honor of my Pops and hope he is upstairs sharing alongside of me. With that bummer-opening lets move on to this trip to Arc Lake with Slate Falls Outposts…….can’t wait to get there!!!!
You're giddy at 54 young man? My wife and I are 70 and felt the same way when the border opened and we found a resort with a week available. Our regular resort was booked. Have a great trip!
Old 09-01-2021, 01:40 PM
Slot Fish

Having all the same feels about the trip. Shout out to the fisherman in heaven. All my best. Leaving in a week.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:04 PM
Keeper

Default Granda Joe

I'll be heading north a week from tomorrow with my father, and we'll be thinking about my grandfather, who starting going to Wabaskang in the very early 70s. He passed 14 years ago this last spring.

Have a great trip!
Old 09-02-2021, 04:35 PM
Keeper

Best of luck for a safe and fantastic trip! Condolences that your dad won't be with you in person. I bet you were his favorite fishing partner.

My dad and grandfather loved to fish up north as well, but I never got to enjoy that with them before they passed. My mom always "planned to go" as well, but that family trip never happened and she never went.

I have some old family lures that I bring with me when I go up. I don't fish them a lot, and I use heavy line when I fish them, just to catch one or two fish. I also took some of my mom's old inexpensive jewelry (read : plastic necklaces and misc stuff) and I made some walleye jigs out of it. They are not the best lures, but Canadian fish are not discerning.

Do you have any gear from your dad that you can take with you?
Old 09-02-2021, 05:24 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetD View Post
Did Exemplar deliver results timely?
Old 09-02-2021, 07:35 PM
Minnow

Lots of memories of dad’s and family members for sure. I take my Dad’s old hat that he had a master angler patch sewm on. It was for a Smallmouth Bass he caught probably 15 years ago on Marchington Lake! He liked to remind everyone about it every year! I will carry that reminder on!