Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Arc Lake Report - Slate Falls Outposts - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-15-2021, 12:15 PM
Minnow

Default Arc Lake Report - Slate Falls Outposts

Well we had an itch and we definitely scratched it. It was definitely different being only a party of 2 but it could not have gone any better! Flew in on 9/4 (literally we drove into Slate Falls Outpost air base around 11am on Sat and Ryan was like let’s get you were you wanna be and we can settle up later). So off to the races we went. We flew through sunshine and then a quick downpour and back into sunshine. We unloaded and were off fishing by 2’ish. Went to a few of the known hotspots and immediately were into the Walleye (our primary target for the week). We had almost 1 solid day of rain on our trip otherwise intermittent rain here and there but 90% of week just cloudy with some sunshine here and there. Temps remained in 60’s all week with consistent winds from NW, West and a little South-Southwest. Water temps hovered atound 63-65 degrees. We caught our Walleyes predominately in 25-45’ of water. No big fish but average was probably 20” with tons of fish 17-22”. The two of us estimated we caught 6-700 fish for the week and that was maybe fishing 6-7 hours a day on average. The bite was hot and consistent on what seemed to be any good structure we could find near deeper water. We used maybe 1/2 of our minnows that we had otdered for first half of the trip and then canceled the remaining minnow order for second half of our trip as the fake baits were on fire. My go-to was a 1/8 oz vegas glitter jig (gold, blue, green, red) jig with Berkley Powerbait twitchtail plastic in metallic fleck green or metallic fleck purple…….they have a different naming like green lightening and purple haze (or something like that). They were not paddle tail baits at all but they worked extremely well. I’m stocking up more for next year as came near to running out. Fishing was great! Had 1 huge pike grab a Walleye and held on til we almost had her to the boat. Lost a few other big Pike around the boat while fishing Walleye and had numerous break off that were likely Pike. The new cabin facility at Arc was great. Plenty of room for a group of 6. The deck with double propane fish cooker and massive barbecue were awesome! All solar lights and fridge with warm comfortable showers. Cabin and location with boat slips and decking to and from all places outside were excellent. Our flight out was right on time first thing in the morning we left which we really appreciated. Over the years (30’ish now going North) we have never experienced the level of timeliness and service from a fly-in outfitter like we did from Slate Falls! Just could not have had a better trip. I can feel my itch already coming back just after 2 days since arriving home.

We are headed to Root Bay with Slate Falls next Summer with our normal (I hope) crew of 8’ish. Looking forward to that and getting everyone back!

Good luck to those still going or planning their trips in 2022. The border crossing was mostly non-eventful other than my partner not getting the two pictures of his vaccination record uploaded (only had 1). We both had our hard copies of vaccination record so border agent was very understanding and had what we needed to cross. It took less than 5 min. We crossed Fri evening going up and were 2 deep in line so super quick crossing and then 1 deep coming back to the States and were across in minutes!

Until 2022!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2021, 06:26 PM
Slot Fish

Did you need a covid test to cross?
Old 09-15-2021, 06:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetD View Post
Well we had an itch and we definitely scratched it. It was definitely different being only a party of 2 but it could not have gone any better! Flew in on 9/4 (literally we drove into Slate Falls Outpost air base around 11am on Sat and Ryan was like let’s get you were you wanna be and we can settle up later). So off to the races we went. We flew through sunshine and then a quick downpour and back into sunshine. We unloaded and were off fishing by 2’ish. Went to a few of the known hotspots and immediately were into the Walleye (our primary target for the week). We had almost 1 solid day of rain on our trip otherwise intermittent rain here and there but 90% of week just cloudy with some sunshine here and there. Temps remained in 60’s all week with consistent winds from NW, West and a little South-Southwest. Water temps hovered atound 63-65 degrees. We caught our Walleyes predominately in 25-45’ of water. No big fish but average was probably 20” with tons of fish 17-22”. The two of us estimated we caught 6-700 fish for the week and that was maybe fishing 6-7 hours a day on average. The bite was hot and consistent on what seemed to be any good structure we could find near deeper water. We used maybe 1/2 of our minnows that we had otdered for first half of the trip and then canceled the remaining minnow order for second half of our trip as the fake baits were on fire. My go-to was a 1/8 oz vegas glitter jig (gold, blue, green, red) jig with Berkley Powerbait twitchtail plastic in metallic fleck green or metallic fleck purple…….they have a different naming like green lightening and purple haze (or something like that). They were not paddle tail baits at all but they worked extremely well. I’m stocking up more for next year as came near to running out. Fishing was great! Had 1 huge pike grab a Walleye and held on til we almost had her to the boat. Lost a few other big Pike around the boat while fishing Walleye and had numerous break off that were likely Pike. The new cabin facility at Arc was great. Plenty of room for a group of 6. The deck with double propane fish cooker and massive barbecue were awesome! All solar lights and fridge with warm comfortable showers. Cabin and location with boat slips and decking to and from all places outside were excellent. Our flight out was right on time first thing in the morning we left which we really appreciated. Over the years (30’ish now going North) we have never experienced the level of timeliness and service from a fly-in outfitter like we did from Slate Falls! Just could not have had a better trip. I can feel my itch already coming back just after 2 days since arriving home.

We are headed to Root Bay with Slate Falls next Summer with our normal (I hope) crew of 8’ish. Looking forward to that and getting everyone back!

Good luck to those still going or planning their trips in 2022. The border crossing was mostly non-eventful other than my partner not getting the two pictures of his vaccination record uploaded (only had 1). We both had our hard copies of vaccination record so border agent was very understanding and had what we needed to cross. It took less than 5 min. We crossed Fri evening going up and were 2 deep in line so super quick crossing and then 1 deep coming back to the States and were across in minutes!

Until 2022!!!!!
Great report on your trip the part about fishing in 45 ft totally turned me off.Tells me maybe half off your 700 fish are probably dead now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2021, 07:14 PM
Minnow

We did have Covid tests 72 hours prior to crossing and were required to provide at border. As for the fish caught in 45’ of water not sure about your assumption or theory that 1/2 died. I saw zero evidence of fish being stressed or any indication that they were harmed. They were immediately released upon being boated. At amy rate that’s the report.

Good luck to those still headed North!
Old 09-15-2021, 08:40 PM
Wallhanger

Great report! Thanks.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:26 AM
Slot Fish

Did you fish in Vincent at all?
Old 09-16-2021, 08:18 AM
Minnow

Yes, twice! It was worth the trip!!!!
Old 09-16-2021, 09:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetD View Post
We did have Covid tests 72 hours prior to crossing and were required to provide at border. As for the fish caught in 45í of water not sure about your assumption or theory that 1/2 died. I saw zero evidence of fish being stressed or any indication that they were harmed. They were immediately released upon being boated. At amy rate thatís the report.

Good luck to those still headed North!
Glad you had a good time at Arc, I may have to slip over there sometime to check out the new cabin.

Trying to tread lightly...ProV1800 has a point on bringing up fish from those depths, just because you did not see much evidence of the fish being injured does not mean that they were not. You might want to research that in the future. I don't have time now to look up research studies on this, but will try to do so in the next couple of weeks and post it here. Again, not trying to be negative, but I know a lot of people are not aware of the results of bringing fish up from those depths, a little education could be helpful in preserving our walleye populations.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:28 AM
Minnow

That’s fair. I had heard things about trout coming from extreme depths especially in the hot months when water temps were widely variable from top to bottom of the water column. We generally fish May/June so fish are much shallower and obviously are likely less susceptible to what was described. Probably our lack of knowledge related to fishing Walleyes in deep water because we have not done it even though we have been coming North for so long. I guess the recommendation would be get your eaters there (deep water) if you want but move onto fish in lesser depths for “sportfishing”. I love the resource so certainly would not want to harm it. An old dog can learn new tricks so will do a little snooping around about the topic to get more educated on it.

Thanks fellas
Old 09-16-2021, 03:18 PM
Keeper

Slate Falls sounds top notch.