Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew 1 Year Review - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-05-2021, 10:38 PM
Wallhanger

To the OP - get a tight travel cover for the boat! Nothing that can flap at all. You'll see a dramatic mpg increase while towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2021, 09:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
How are you guys calculating the fuel milage by hand accurately? Are you using the same fuel pump all the time? Just letting it "click off"(shut off) and no topping off? How do you account for pumps that turn off earlier than the ones at another station?

These are legitimate questions I have. I have found that pumps at different stations will let me put in different amounts of fuel after the first shut off. I have filled the fuel tank to the point I can see fuel in the filler neck. Some times I get 1 gallon after the first shut. I've gotten about 3 gallons extra on real sensitive pumps after the first shut off.
My mpg hand calculations for a Ď17 3.5EB are done on multiple towing round trips ranging from 2,500 to 4,500 miles then averaged. These were calculated so that non towing miles are not included in the calculation. Variation of tank fills are mathematically insignificant since fillups are done 4 to 7 times on each leg while continuously hitched. The significant impact of wind speed and direction is averaged out over that many miles. Based on this method I measured 15.3 mpg pulling 3,000 to 3,500 pounds, with full windshield, tightly covered typically in the 68 to 70mph range, and occasionally dropping to 66 or 67mph in direct headwinds. Topping a canoe drops about 1 mpg when towing at that speed.

In this speed range every 1 mph increase or decrease makes a significant impact on mpg based on the instantaneous mpg reading, although I have not systematically made mpg calculations at 1 mph increments.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:25 PM
Wallhanger

Just picked up my 2021 SuperCab 2.7 and putting the .Iles before towing. See attached. Mostly highway speed the elapsed time is incorrectly as Ieft it idle with wifey and dog for 25 minutes while I did some shopping therapy at Jann's Netcraft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211007_130206_1633713874218.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	329778  
Old 10-18-2021, 10:16 AM
Slot Fish

I didn't buy a truck to worry about a few MPG's. You better stay on those paved ramps with that 2 wheeler.

Otherwise its a good looking truck!
2016 Ram CCLB Cummins
All metal all the time.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

My Ford Edge shows speedometer 3mph faster than actual mph. Assuming this factors in when using vehicle calc for speed and distance traveled. Just sharin'!

Bill
Old 10-26-2021, 10:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfish View Post
I didn't buy a truck to worry about a few MPG's. You better stay on those paved ramps with that 2 wheeler.

Otherwise its a good looking truck!
Two years ago (or even about a year ago) when gas was at or below $2/gallon you had a stronger argument. I’m in San Diego today, and gas is nearing $5/gallon, and MPG is extremely relevant again. And those prices are coming to the rest of America soon.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:30 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBin303 View Post
Two years ago (or even about a year ago) when gas was at or below $2/gallon you had a stronger argument. Iím in San Diego today, and gas is nearing $5/gallon, and MPG is extremely relevant again. And those prices are coming to the rest of America soon.
The OP stated he got 13 MPG towing the boat at 70-75 MPH. I get 13-14 with my boat and Cummins Ram at those speeds.
I can't compete with his empty numbers of 25-27 or so. Either way ya gotta pay to play.
2016 Ram CCLB Cummins
All metal all the time.