Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ram Ficht question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 05-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ram Ficht question

Fished with a friend all weekend and he was having a little trouble with his Evinrude 115 (2000 Ram Ficht). Starting and idling was okay but it sometimes took a few tries to start. And it ran fine once he got going. But just after he'd put it in gear (and move up the speed just a little), it would cut out.

Any thoughts on what it might be? Any chance his plugs need to be cleaned? Other thoughts?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Keeper

Default RE: Ram Ficht question

The fuel lift pump is going out. Common on those engines, Hard starting, engine revs up once started. I replaced that and the oil manifold on my 2000 FICHT Ram 115. If he had fresh oil dripping into the splashwell, that is the oil manifold. Contrary to what some dealers might say fresh oil dripping into the splashwell is not normal with FICHT engines, some burnt/used oil may run into the wells but not fresh injection oil.

A fresh set of plugs properly indexed is a good idea after decarbing the motor.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Birddog

"Contrary to what some dealers might say fresh oil dripping into the splashwell is not normal with FICHT engines" :rotflmao:

BIRDDOG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Wallhanger

A bit of oil coming out of the air intakes is normal on every FICHT I've ever seen (Especially when you tilt it for travel). If it's coming out somewhere else, that's something else. You may want to tell this guy to decarb, new plugs and synchronize the engine. I did it last week and turned my rough running FICHT into a smooth runner again. Not much too it except time. Nice to have a factory service manual and laptop program (Actually, you got to have them to do the synchronize part right). I've learned how to maintain my FICHT out of me being cheap and because of the lack of trained pros around here. Good luck!
Chris
Old 05-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Wallhanger

Mr Walleye:

I believe the decarb and plugs would be easy. I'll suggest he do those two first. I doubt he could do the syncro ( I'm sure I couldn't). Hopefully they will make it run a little smoother.

Anyone have the method for decarbing this motor?

Thanks for the advice, Trout
Old 05-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Minnow

Take a look at www.boatsetup.com some good info on decarbing this motor and initializing sparkplugs
Old 05-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Wallhanger

Great input, guys. I'll pass it on.

Thanks, Trout
Old 05-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like the Fuel Pump to me too.

I have this motor on my boat, and had the same problem...Check the fuel pump.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:44 PM
MrWalleye73 unlogged

The boatsetup.com procedure is almost overkill. That was the first place I found a FICHT decarb procedure. I tried it and it was alot of time. This year I did the old one can in each hand and combed up and down the intakes until the cans were empty. Then killed the engine quickly. If you look at boatsetup.com, John from Illinois provides good info. That's a guy who has given me lots of FICHT info.
After this decarb, the cylinders were clean (looked with a small flexible flashlight inside). And I switched to the XD-100 oil. I've seen an engine that hasn't been decarbed in two years running this oil....clean as a whistle inside. Then install a set of indexed plugs and new fuel filter. Nice way to keep it in shape.

Chris
Old 05-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

I have a 1998 150 Ficht that fortunately got a new 2000 powerhead in the fall of 1999 prior to the bankruptcy. I have put about 1000 hours on the engine since the new powerhead and haven't had any problems except a new ignition module that went in this spring. I have used Yamaha Ring Free in EVERY tank of gas at a ratio of 1 oz. per 10 gals. since 1999. My compression tests are great and performance has been super. I just got a new Lund with a 200 Evin. DI (ficht) engine. Decarb your engine, new indexed plugs and run Ring Free in every tank of gas. You'll like your engine.