Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
marine band radio antenna choice - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 02-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Minnow

Default marine band radio antenna choice

I put a marine band radio in my 1850 sportfish last year and opted for a 36" wire type antenna so i didn't have the big glass rod to deal with. Guess what, I think this is the reason for my poor radio reception. I have an OceanUS higher quality radio and I don't think that is the issue. What can I do to test my setup before drilling new holes in my boat for an 8 footer?
Guide07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Minnow

Default RE: marine band radio antenna choice

I am getting ready to install my radio and also have been looking at the antennas. From my reseach here the most common unit is the Shakesphere Galaxy. The unit is twice as expensive as the regular ones but has twice the power. I also don't want to drill on my gunnel but it looks like thats where it is going.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Wallhanger

I'm going to be doing the same (mounting an antenna). I'm wondering whether or not a Lunds Sportrack bracket (don't know if you fellas have that option) with a Ram mount between the antenna and the bracket. Then I could (maybe) fold the ram mount down and around to stow the antenna down on the gunnel?

Has anyone mounted there antenna on one of these brackets?

-Behr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

I don't see a problem with mounting a 3' wire antenna on a sport trac bracket with a ram mount, but I don't think that I would try it with an 8' glass antenna. I have an 8' glass antenna and ram mount, but it is on my gunnel. Maybe someone has done it and it turned out ok.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Wallhanger

After much research I purchased a GAM SS2 antenna with the ADPT-1 Mount Adapter and cable. I then made a 4 foot extension out of PVC for $2.00 that I can install between the antenna and mount if I ever want to extend the range. You could also do like this fellow and use a shakespear extension. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...HFAntenna.html

http://www.boatus.com/reviews/power/articles/4722-1.asp

http://www.gamelectronicsinc.com/practical.html#ss-2
Old 02-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Wallhanger

Excellent info!! I was all set to buy the 8 footer, but I'll have to reconsider my options now.

Thanks!

-Behr
Old 02-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Keeper

Behr;

I have ran an 8' shakespere mounted to a sport track bracket for 3 yrs with out an issue. I have an adjustable/ratcheting antenna mount that is attached to the sport track brack with 4 bolts and quickly allows me to fold down the anntena onto the gunnel.

Antenna mount I used was purchased locally at Gander Mt and looks just like this one..

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/mou...x-mmount01.php

Rod
Old 02-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Minnow

Great info for my problem's solution. I get the same tach interference with my short 36" ss whip mounted right by my starboard console.