Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
cranking shallow behind boards ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2002, 10:12 AM
Minnow

Default cranking shallow behind boards ?

What is the rule of thumb for pulling shallow running crank in 2' to 6' of water behind boards? Can you figure 1' of depth to every 5' of line behind the board? Will the boards spook the fish? Thanks for the help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2002, 10:14 AM
Minnow

Default RE: cranking shallow behind boards ?

Pick up a copy of precision trolling and that will get you started in the direction that you neek to go.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I just got a copy the other day.

GREAAAAAAAAT booklet to have, and worth the $20 easily.

-Box

'97 Alumacraft TP175 w/ Merc 150efi - now an oldie but goodie...
'12 SouthBay 522F w/ Merc 60 Bigfoot 4S - fishing 'toon...
'82 Alumacraft Classic 16 w/ Merc Classic 50 - rehabbed ducker!
and a fleet of duck boats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2002, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

It all depends on the crank and its dive curve.

You have less chance of spooking the fish with a board the with a boat for sure. Only other option is to pitch them but you dont cover as much water.
NPAA #499
Old 03-07-2002, 06:25 PM
brushpile

they dont make as much noise or wake as a muskrat. I've caught fish on cranks that were as close as 7 ft to the board.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:36 PM
Keeper

It can depend if you are fishing clear water or stained water. I have caught walleyes and northerns with my cranks running near the prop wash in stained water. Use boards even when running cranks shallow so you get a nice spread and cover more water.

Tom
Old 03-07-2002, 06:43 PM
Wallhanger

Hi,
We have run boards in six ftw and caught Salmon using 15a Bombers with about 70 ft of line out.You could try that and you could use14a Bombers and thundersticks and Jr thunders and renoskys shallow baits.Sometimes you can be beating the bottom and walleyes will hit them.The only thing you can do is try different things and then you will be tickled pink if it works out.My Favorite BOMBERS<BOMBERS>BOMBERS.

Old 03-07-2002, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Precision Trolling - You can order it from here.

I don't know about 2' but if your running cranks in say 5 or 6 ft, find a flat with that depth & just let out line til you hit (rod tip at water level) then just bring it in a little and you have your lead distance for attaching the board.

For two ft down, I'd find clear water and just look over the side of the boat and watch the lure as I let line out out. Maybe stand in the bow & have someone else watch from the back.

If you need longer leads try 20# test mono (I'd add a small dia 6' leader in front of a stickbait). (Credit to I Troll of IL)

Old 03-07-2002, 08:54 PM
Fritz

The board will not spook the fish.(maybe occasionally) I've run baby thundersticks 6 ft. behind the board in 3 ft of water on winnebago and caught a lot of fish. On many other occasions on the winnebago system i have run the baits so close to the board that the fish are netted with the board still on the line. Good luck and if you think it will work keep trying it till it does. Ryan Relien
Old 03-07-2002, 10:05 PM
steve(IL)

Use Precision trolling as a guide - then some common sense. For example Storm T-sticks w/ 40ft 10lb line will dig 3ft or so. Get it 3ft of water prior to your trolling pass, let your line out. Does the lure tick bottom?(watch rod tip). If yes, crank in a few feet. If no, maybe let out a few feet. Once you're happy, attach planer board. You can run shad raps in three feet if you want. Just keep the lead to the planer board short enough. If you think the fish & the bite is hot, consider running your lures a little higher. Adjust.