Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Western Ontario - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Minnow

Default Western Ontario

I need help finding a place to fish with 3 of my friends in Western Ontario. We would like a drive in camp, and a housekeeping plan as we prefer to eat on our own schedule. We will bring our own food, bait, and tackle. All we need is a clean quiet place to sleep, plenty of fish to catch, and a boat /w motor. Preferably a cabin by it's self in on a lake, would be nice.

Why western Ontario? Some of us are driving from Montana, the rest from Michigan, and it seems like a good halfway point.

Price? Preferably about $500 to $700 for a week, per person.

Yes I have been a lurker on the website, but I am having a hard time finding "Western Ontario" camps as I don't know what towns/lakes I am looking for.

Thanks,
bushman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Minnow

Default Sunset Country

I think the part of "Western Ontario" is often referred to as Northwestern Ontario and is also known as Sunset Country. Try www.sunsetcountry.net for links to various outfitters. You can get a map that shows many camps and locations. I believe there are other outfitters that do not belong to Sunset Country. Also check allcanada dot com or dot ca. I think there are many resorts on Lake of the Woods, Eagle Lake or Rainy Lake that will meet your needs. Some examples I have read about are www.witchbay.com and Camp Narrows on Rainy Lake. There are so many other excellent choices in Ontario. If you give us your preferences for fish, size of water, etc., there ought be some good suggestions.

Gary
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Keeper

Lac Seul is another top choice. Considered by many to be one of the best walleye lakes, period. Also has bass, pike and trophy muskie. Lots of places to stay and fish to catch.

Sioux Lookout, Lac Seul, Ontario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Slot Fish

You gotta go to Lake of the Woods. At least once in your life.
Kenora has all the amenities and you won't have to drive any further up into the bush.
It'll be easy for your guys to meet there in the middle of the country.
It's a long drive from Michigan though, you may want to go through Winnipeg, cross the border in Manitoba. For both parties coming from the east and west.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Minnow

Default Clarification

Water size, I'd say that we prefer a larger lake than a small one with lots of portages to lots of little lakes.

We have been fishing at Grey Owl for quite a few years, and enjoy it a lot! Only issue is that meeting half way between Michigan and Montana...is NOT Grey Owl. Love the lake, love the owners, and the whole set up. We have done mostly House Keeping plan, bring our own food, and bait. If my brother hadn't moved to Montana we would still be going there. This summer is our last trip.

I think I mentioned or that we would prefer less people than more, and our cabin more secluded than part of a group of cabins, as we like the solitude.

Kind of fish...walleye, and whatever else is in the lake is fine. Of course lots HUGE walleye is more fun than anything else. However we are used to only getting 4-8 walleye in a week over 19", and lots around 12-16". We only eat what we need during the week, and bring one daily limit home to share with friends and family, otherwise we return all other fish we catch.

Hope this helps with your questions.
Thanks for all of your help, I look forward to checking out the websites you suggest!

Sincerely,
bushman
Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Keeper

You should look at Moore Bay Lodge on Lake of the woods. It's about a 10 mile boat ride from Kenora out to there camp, all housekeeping cabins w/showers, reasonable rates
Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Minnow

Default Outposts or rental cabins

Bushman,
It appears that an outpost or a rental cabin may suit your needs. Some of the websites that I mentioned earlier allow you to filter the outfitters for some of the ciriteria you mentioned. Many of the resorts often have an outpost a few or many miles out. There are some rental cabins also available but I have no experience with them. In addition to the outposts and cabins, there are boat in resorts. My belief is if you go more than 10 miles from the launch to your resort, cabin or outpost the fishing is better than adjacent to the drive to resort. I have fished at Bow Narrows (nice Walleyes!) on Red Lake about a 20 mile trip in the outfitter's good sized boat-it is a resort with a number of cabins-wither American Plan or Housekeeping. It stands to reason, there are outposts available on Red lake. I know that Lac Seul has a number of outpost cabins on it as well as boat in resorts. See www.lacseuloutposts.com for fishing at Chamberlain Narrows a long boat in. Do a google search for Evergreen Lodge. It is one of several good drive to lodges on Lac Seul. As I said many of the Lac Seul Resorts offer an outpost.
Gary
Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

I'm going into Camp Narrows situated on the north arm of Rainy Lake, Ont this summer. Lots of options, You can take your own boat in seven miles to the lodge, or they will take you in, rent boats there, do your own thing as in housekeeping, cooking or American Package. This is my first time but have only good reviews from this board. http://www.campnarrows.ca/
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5
Old 02-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman View Post
Water size, I'd say that we prefer a larger lake than a small one with lots of portages to lots of little lakes.

We have been fishing at Grey Owl for quite a few years, and enjoy it a lot! Only issue is that meeting half way between Michigan and Montana...is NOT Grey Owl. Love the lake, love the owners, and the whole set up. We have done mostly House Keeping plan, bring our own food, and bait. If my brother hadn't moved to Montana we would still be going there. This summer is our last trip.

I think I mentioned or that we would prefer less people than more, and our cabin more secluded than part of a group of cabins, as we like the solitude.

Kind of fish...walleye, and whatever else is in the lake is fine. Of course lots HUGE walleye is more fun than anything else. However we are used to only getting 4-8 walleye in a week over 19", and lots around 12-16". We only eat what we need during the week, and bring one daily limit home to share with friends and family, otherwise we return all other fish we catch.

Hope this helps with your questions.
Thanks for all of your help, I look forward to checking out the websites you suggest!

Sincerely,
bushman
Do you mean Grey Owl in Biscotasing?

If you've been satisfied with that pretty much anywhere in N/W Ontario will blow your mind.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Wallhanger

Default Ontario

Lac Seul is AWESOME....Take a look at Lost Island Lodge. Beautiful setting, great accomadations and boats and best of all the fishing is fabulous.

Want more info email me.

Good Luck, Mike Kansas