Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
"Custom" Tiller hydro steering - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 11-25-2015, 12:29 AM
Minnow

Default "Custom" Tiller hydro steering

Hey looking for some help, info, insite, whatever I can get on this topic. Looking into re-power my rig this winter with a yamaha f150. Only thing I'm working on figuring out here is some power steering or assist. Merc has the tiller market cornered in that aspect, and chances of finding a old mertens or titan are slim to none from what I see. I'm aware of the "tiller assist" system from backtroller boats but that system got me thinking. Could a guy not just custom his own system be very similar to the back troller system minus the momentary lock. So here's what's on my mind. Buy a sea star hydraulic steer cylinder mount it and instead of running the lines off the cylinder to the helm pump or the lock pump whatver you wanna call it run the lines into a ball valve. This way, valve open the fluid can move freely and steering is easy... Get in a situation where there is tourqe, close the valve a bit restric the flow and lessen the tourqe. Seen a post from a few year back of a guy doing this , has anyone else done this? Seems like it should work great. And this way you can close valve to lock motor for trailering. So all in all this is real the same idea as the back troller system, just no momentary lock... And about $1000 cheaper.. Any info on this would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2015, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

member "tooldtocare" did just that.

look here: https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...33#post2952833

HRG