Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
need walleye central help again - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-03-2016, 10:24 PM
Keeper

Default need walleye central help again

i own a 2015 alumacraft trohy. the first weekend i took my boat out after I had fished for a couple hours I noticed a upon take off when front of boat lifted the auto bilge kicked on. this happened everal times that day. the next morning tied boat to dock for 2 hours and nothing came in, last weekend we had our fisrt tourney of year auto bilge started. this time though I had live well running. Live well would not keep water in even though I had drained closed. Bilge tuned on about a dozen times and I had to keep adding water to live well. cant seemed to find a fittings leaking in rear. any suggestions on how to find this leak?

Old 06-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Wallhanger

Start pulling up flooring and tracing hoses. There's another thread that was posted this week about a competitor with a leaking drain somewhere as well.

To find your leak, put a plug in the outside of the livewell drain in the transom and dump a bucket of water in the livewell (with visual access to the hoses of course). I would guess your leak is at the bottom of the livewell on that drain's nipple... Just a WAG but that seems to be where most livewells leak.

I'm not sure what alumacraft warranties, but it might be smart to call your dealer first and see if there's anything that covers it. If you don't get anywhere with them, then call alumacraft directly and tell them what is going on.. They will at least tell you where the hoses are ran.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Wallhanger

Just throwing it out there as it happened to me about 8 years ago. Tried so hard to find was it one of the rivets or one of the livewell hose that's leaking. Bilge pump will kick in few times throughout the day. Finally found out its was animals chewed my speedo line and water came in from the hole she chewed. (No wonder my speedo wasn't working at times). So check if it's one of your speedo or Water pressure hoses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Chan View Post
Just throwing it out there as it happened to me about 8 years ago. Tried so hard to find was it one of the rivets or one of the livewell hose that's leaking. Bilge pump will kick in few times throughout the day. Finally found out its was animals chewed my speedo line and water came in from the hole she chewed. (No wonder my speedo wasn't working at times). So check if it's one of your speedo or Water pressure hoses.
interesting you say that, my speedo stopped working this spring but pushed air from connection at motor and disconnected from gauge lots water came through and good air flow. dealer has ordered new gauge, think its a seal on gauge
Old 06-04-2016, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Bowhunting,
Do you get any water in your boats bilge if you do not add any water to your livewell?

The reason that I ask, is that if the fitting at the bottom of the livewell were leaking, it is likely that water would come into the bilge even with no water added to the boat, since the livewell drain is likely under the water line.

Of course, if the livewell drain is not under the water line, then you could have a leak at the drain fitting and not get water into the boat, unless you filled it from the top first.

By the way, just to be aware, most boat factories, put all of the fittings and all of the hoses on a livewell, before the livewell is dropped into the boat. So, often to completely service one or all of the fittings, requires that a top deck be removed from the boat, so that the livewell can also be completely lifted above the deck for hose and fitting access.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

In addition, you can add food coloring to the water that you dump into the livewell to make tracing the leak easier.

Be safe
Old 06-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
In addition, you can add food coloring to the water that you dump into the livewell to make tracing the leak easier.

Be safe

Good idea!! Or pink antifreeze.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:23 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Bowhunting,
Do you get any water in your boats bilge if you do not add any water to your livewell?

The reason that I ask, is that if the fitting at the bottom of the livewell were leaking, it is likely that water would come into the bilge even with no water added to the boat, since the livewell drain is likely under the water line.

Of course, if the livewell drain is not under the water line, then you could have a leak at the drain fitting and not get water into the boat, unless you filled it from the top first.

By the way, just to be aware, most boat factories, put all of the fittings and all of the hoses on a livewell, before the livewell is dropped into the boat. So, often to completely service one or all of the fittings, requires that a top deck be removed from the boat, so that the livewell can also be completely lifted above the deck for hose and fitting access.
I am going out monday to try and figure this out, I have already thought of food coloring idea. what i do know if I fish for 6 or 7 hours the auto bilge may come on once or twice. If I run the live well I have to constantly keep filling it and the auto bildge will keep turning on 12 or 14 times in same time frame. when it comes on is when I take of,f when front of boat is in high and all water drains to back of boat. thanks rew

Last edited by bowhunter99; 06-05-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Wallhanger

I have a suggestion..... Take your 2015 boat back where you bought it and have the dealer repair it. Why would you want to mess around with it?
Old 06-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Wallhanger

The leak is possibly in a livewell hose that has a small split from water that froze last winter. It happens. Repair will be the seller's problem if you are the first owner and just bought the boat this year, but otherwise would likely be fixed at your expense.