Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Snap Weights - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye1or2 View Post
I do the same thing only I use inline trolling weights. Put a swivel 6' ahead of the lure, inline weight and a leader. Rig your weights so that you can change them quickly. I hate snapweights, have never understood why people think they are a good idea.
I prefer them over inlines because you don't need to run a leader to the bait and the hardware to attach it. Also great for catching floating weeds going down your line to the bait. Quicker and easier to change weights also. Only downside is getting that crazy jumping fish every now and then that chucks your snap and weight off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2017, 08:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
I prefer them over inlines because you don't need to run a leader to the bait and the hardware to attach it. Also great for catching floating weeds going down your line to the bait. Quicker and easier to change weights also. Only downside is getting that crazy jumping fish every now and then that chucks your snap and weight off.
You using the release with the pin ??

Al
Old 09-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
You using the release with the pin ??

Al
Yep, the red clips. It's the flying Atlantics, Steelhead, and occasional smallie that seem to chuck one off every now and then, usually with a 3-4oz weight on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
Yep, the red clips. It's the flying Atlantics, Steelhead, and occasional smallie that seem to chuck one off every now and then, usually with a 3-4oz weight on it.
How close to the lure are you?

Never had one come off, but I use them a ways back from the lure, 50 foot or more.

Al
Old 09-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
How close to the lure are you?

Never had one come off, but I use them a ways back from the lure, 50 foot or more.

Al
Usually running the 50/50 method, so 50' back. It's fairly rare, but has happened a few times. I think it's a combo of the weight and the thrashing because I've had a few of my 10 and 12oz weights pop off when setting the hook on a walleye. Last year, I had a board come off for the first time in well over 10 years, even with an OR-18 snapper on front and a red clip on back. Atlantic kept getting good air and then diving under with board and all. After about 10 jumps and dives, it finally shook the board. Some of it probably has to do with using teflon coated Spiderwire Stealth braid also. It's pretty slick stuff when fresh.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
It depends on the lure, but is quick to figure out. Each seems to be 50-75 feet. The more drag the lure has, the more it takes away from the effectiveness of the snapweight (but at the same time has greater dive characteristics w/out the weight). I drop them to 85 feet, using the weight to depth ratio I stated, then bring them up 5 ft at a time until they are no longer touching.

I could probably chart each lure, but it is honestly too simple to just figure it out each time. I have noticed no ill effects with catch rate with this method either.

I recently began putting my snap weights on a split ring, then adding a snap swivel in reverse. I just clip them to the front eye that attaches my leader to my main line. Run 5ft leaders and no need to remove. No dealing with clips either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wally. How fast are you going? With a weighted offering the speed is the number one variable. Bob

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 09-15-2017 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Name
Old 09-16-2017, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Wally. How fast are you going? With a weighted offering the speed is the number one variable. Bob

No doubt about it w speed. It's very easy to know the bottom w braid and snap weights. That is the reason I said I always start deep and find the sweet spot. I like to run my cranks 1.8-2.0. See a lot of guys pulling much faster on the lakes I hit most often, but the proof at the dock usually shows that I am doing something right. I'm sure most are not diehards and are just out enjoying, but my catch rate usually tops the folks I talk to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk