Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gull Rock - Five lakes or Wrights camp - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-25-2019, 12:00 PM
Minnow

Default Gull Rock - Five lakes or Wrights camp

Hi does anybody have any recent experience between these two camps? I've looked through the searches and dont find much on Five lakes lodge from the past few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 12:38 PM
Keeper

i can only comment on wrights. stayed there many times. Lee is awesome. great cabins and boats. I assume pretty much every camp on gullrock has nice cabins and boats or they couldnt compete. for me...i think wrights location is what makes if for me. closer to fishing spots and can get up towards Keg lake easier as well. Just my opinion and 5 lakes probably has great hosts and cabins as well.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:48 PM
Wallhanger

Five Lakes for me. 17 years in a row, at least one trip a year. The up graded camp boats at 5 Lakes Lodge are better than what some people pull up there.

Last edited by johnboat; 01-25-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2019, 03:28 PM
Minnow

both camps are good, I would think it depends on what you are looking for, I haven't been into wrights in a few years but I heard they upgraded their cabins since I was last there. \\

five lakes is a great spot to be, the owners are friends of mine and used to be my neighbours up until they bought the camp a few years ago. I should say I just moved from living on gullrock this past winter and I use five lakes to gas up and get my minnows (as a favour to me) . ian and drew will ensure you have a great time at their camp and they also have outlying lakes you can day trip into.

as far as fishing , it doesn't get much better for walleye, there are northerns of all sizes and trophy size walleye.
BUT, you should note all camp owners on gullrock have a rule that NO walleye or northerns over the slot size be kept and brought into camp. this has been their practice for a number of years and the fishing has progressed impressively because of it. Even though the regs say you can keep 1 over the 18 inch size limit the camps don't allow it.

hope this helps
Old 01-26-2019, 06:30 PM
Minnow

Too me location means very little on lake like that. I would pick hospitality over location any day of week. Five lakes would be my pick.

I have NEVER stayed at Wright's camp and I will NEVER STAY THERE!! I have seen how Lee is on the lake and how he "bashes" his American guest on not catching fish. (Obviously he can't find find fish himself ) Yet, he is the first guy to bust into or use the Iowa fish finder (binoculars) and fish right next to you. Then the next day he sends his entire camp to that spot. Pretty disrespectful for an owner which many may not know his boat. The lake is big there are a ton of spots to fish.

I have friends who stay with Ian and Drew and have always heard positive reports from them. Ian use to be a guide and most def is the better fisherman and more respectful. They have told me how much he will help guest in camp get on fish, mark maps up for guest. Lee spends more time on the lake then he obviously does in his own camp. Which I guess if you have a dock hand you can go fish on other camp guest to find the "spot".
Old 01-26-2019, 10:29 PM
Wallhanger

Hello: Have fished Gullrock for a long time. Was at Wrights before it was Wrights when it was Weavers. Stayed at Wrights many times. Never had a bad experience at Weavers or Wrights. Never noticed any thing like what Chasneyes talked about. Never been to Five Lakes so I can't comment on them. Just find it suspicious that Chsneyes just joined Walleye Central Jan. of 19. Just Sayin. Good Luck . O - R
Old 01-26-2019, 11:38 PM
Keeper

Ian and Drew are great. Ian will guide on request and knows Red Lake down to Gull Rock like no other. I don't know Wrights, only Howey Bay and Five lakes, but Ian won't disappoint.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:06 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsron View Post
Hello: Have fished Gullrock for a long time. Was at Wrights before it was Wrights when it was Weavers. Stayed at Wrights many times. Never had a bad experience at Weavers or Wrights. Never noticed any thing like what Chasneyes talked about. Never been to Five Lakes so I can't comment on them. Just find it suspicious that Chsneyes just joined Walleye Central Jan. of 19. Just Sayin. Good Luck . O - R

I'd have to agree. Haven't fished either of these areas but it does smell a bit "fishy"! Yet, perhaps it just a feud ramping up!
Old 01-27-2019, 07:20 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chsneyes View Post
Too me location means very little on lake like that. I would pick hospitality over location any day of week. Five lakes would be my pick.

I have NEVER stayed at Wright's camp and I will NEVER STAY THERE!! I have seen how Lee is on the lake and how he "bashes" his American guest on not catching fish. (Obviously he can't find find fish himself ) Yet, he is the first guy to bust into or use the Iowa fish finder (binoculars) and fish right next to you. Then the next day he sends his entire camp to that spot. Pretty disrespectful for an owner which many may not know his boat. The lake is big there are a ton of spots to fish.

I have friends who stay with Ian and Drew and have always heard positive reports from them. Ian use to be a guide and most def is the better fisherman and more respectful. They have told me how much he will help guest in camp get on fish, mark maps up for guest. Lee spends more time on the lake then he obviously does in his own camp. Which I guess if you have a dock hand you can go fish on other camp guest to find the "spot".
Agreed....I have known Lee for a long time. This is a complete lie. I have spoken to Ian a few times and he is very nice as well. You will not go wrong in either spot but to bash Lee is not right. Those camp owners on gullrock on running million dollar camps/business, you dont get that way by doing things wrong. I am sure both camps run a very nice business.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:11 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chsneyes View Post

Your first post is this??? Come on!! I agree with walleye2242.