Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do it Yourself - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-09-2019, 02:59 PM
Minnow

Default Do it Yourself

I have a couple of weeks of free time in August and would like to do a "Do it Yourself" type of fishing trip in north west Ontario. I have spent many years (50) fishing eastern Ontario as we have a place on one of the lakes in that area. I am familiar with Ontario as I travel to the Provence at least twice a year (fish in the summer and snowmobile northern Ontario in the winter) but I have never fished the north west portion. I would really enjoy trying to portage into some of these lakes you guys talk highly about. I've spent a short time investigating some of the roads via Google Earth and from what I can tell it looks like there are roads within a half mile of Meta Lake. I was wondering if that lake is accessible from the road via a small river or creek? I really don't need a boat ramp, just any type of access will do. Is it legal to access the lake in this manner? I could even portage through the woods if possible. Once on Meta Lake it looks like Ara Lake and Brace Lake can be fished. For you that know the area, what's your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivesy View Post
I have a couple of weeks of free time in August and would like to do a "Do it Yourself" type of fishing trip in north west Ontario. I have spent many years (50) fishing eastern Ontario as we have a place on one of the lakes in that area. I am familiar with Ontario as I travel to the Provence at least twice a year (fish in the summer and snowmobile northern Ontario in the winter) but I have never fished the north west portion. I would really enjoy trying to portage into some of these lakes you guys talk highly about. I've spent a short time investigating some of the roads via Google Earth and from what I can tell it looks like there are roads within a half mile of Meta Lake. I was wondering if that lake is accessible from the road via a small river or creek? I really don't need a boat ramp, just any type of access will do. Is it legal to access the lake in this manner? I could even portage through the woods if possible. Once on Meta Lake it looks like Ara Lake and Brace Lake can be fished. For you that know the area, what's your thoughts?
Can't tell you if you can access Meta from a road yet. We have always just flown into Meta Lake Lodge.

I did hear talk of a road being built to access meta Lake, but can't confirm if that actually happened or is happening. The one you see on Google Earth is probably on the Reservation, but I'm just guessing.

There is no access on Meta, other than the camps that are already there. But, yes, you can fish Meta, Ara, and Brace while there.

I can tell you that you will NEVER get through those woods off a trail while hauling a small boat and gear....it's much too thick and unforgiving.

Contact: John Wiersema (He should have more info on the road access that was proposed)
Phone: (231) 464-5179
Toll free phone: (866) 330-META (6382)
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com
Old 03-10-2019, 09:48 AM
Minnow

Juls
Wow! The power of the internet. The information you gave me is super important to me and I thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 09:51 AM
Minnow

There are lots of lakes in the Nakina area that can be accessed by road and trail but 99% of them are restricted access from the road to protect the tourism industry. Unless you are canoeing the ara meta chain to melchett or terrier you will be fined $2500. You can access some lakes and rivers from the road without issue but if there's a commercial camp on it there will be restricted access. You can access the kapikotongwa river, ogoki river, otter tail river and kawashagama river from the Ogoki road. Hanover, Lucy, osullivan lakes before the Ogoki junction. To the south there's cordinley, John Bill, Squaw, alph, storm, little poverty and twin lakes. Some of those lakes are hard to access but have boat caches you can rent.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:05 AM
Minnow

Nam
Are these restricted lakes posted somewhere so the public can be educated on what lakes are safe to enter and what lakes are not? I sure wouldn't want to be subject to a $2,500 fine that's for sure.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:29 AM
Minnow

if you are going through the work of portaging, you may want to look at quetico park area around Atikokan or the Woodland Caribou park in the Red \Lake area. both are suited for canoe trips and in the case of woodland caribou, I think only canoes are allowed. check with the ministry of natural resources and forestry to get the straight facts.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivesy View Post
Nam
Are these restricted lakes posted somewhere so the public can be educated on what lakes are safe to enter and what lakes are not? I sure wouldn't want to be subject to a $2,500 fine that's for sure.
I would assume the mnr has them listed but not sure, ganrac is a website that has a bunch of downloadable maps with a restriction index. It's not the easiest to follow but it's the only one I know of. Last fall the ministry put up new signage with restrictions at most intersections but I've heard locals are already pulling them out... guess they are playing the ignorance is justification card.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Minnow

Before I would try to plan any kind of fishing trip in Ontario that involved portaging I would first talk to Mike Borger AKA solopaddler. Mike has done all sorts of those very trips and can most likely tell you what is in each and every one of those lakes and how feasible it is to get into said lake. I know there are quite a few lakes in the Nakina area you can access with a little work. There are also guide services that keep boats on a lot of those lakes that can be rented for a fee. I want to say Pennocks in Nakina (They have the gas station, store and motel) offered that service. A bit further west is Pasha Lake Cabins. They provide access to portage lakes where they keep boats stashed. I just think your gonna want to have the leg work done before you get up there otherwise your gonna spend a trip or two just learning where you can go and what you can access.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Minnow

Lots of good pointers you guys are throwing at me and I really do appreciate it. I'm gonna take each ones post, disect it, get in touch with the folks you guys have recommended. This way I can be as educated as possible.Keep the info coming gentelmen.
Thank you,
Shivesy