Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gull Rock Lake on opener 2020? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-19-2020, 06:34 PM
Minnow

Default Gull Rock Lake on opener 2020?

Hey everyone! I'm sure all of us are looking forward to next year when we can return(hopefully) to Canada!

I have gone up to Five Lakes Lodge for the last two years with my wife over the 4th of July and we absolutely love it up there! We have things fairly well figured out for that time of year, and are anxious to get back. I wrote up reports each year and posted them here.

year 1: https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=684044

year 2: https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=696126

That said, I convinced a group of buddies to go up to FLL next summer as well. Ian is already pretty well booked up, but we were able to book for the opener week, May 15th - 21st or so.

Anyone have any experience fishing Gull Rock that early in the year? I think the earliest I've been in Canada for fishing is the first week of June, so I know weather will be a big question mark.

I am excited to try for some big pike, as that seems like a good time for them, but I'm curious how people are fishing walleye that time of year. Assuming they will be really shallow, will it be more of a numbers and eaters type of fishing? Pitching jigs/cranks? Shallow Bays?

Thanks for any insight, I'm happy to share some spots/tips from my July timeframe in exchange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2020, 09:36 PM
Minnow

Default sad news

i went to gullrock this past june 20 to july 3, the sad news is the fish were not where they were supposed to be. there was one here, one there, no big batches and it was hotter than hades up there, temperatures were in the high 80's (for US visitors) the water was in the 70+ degree range and it was very disappointing.

We stayed at 5 lakes lodge and Ian was a great host. he filled my boat with gas from jerry cans , none of the lodges had ordered their gas at that point of time because they had no customers and didn't need the expense of a couple hundred gallons of gas sitting in their tanks.

hopefully the fishing will pick up and june is usually a great time to fish gullrock, last year was a crazy year and now i guess the trend will continue.