Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Boat Set-up - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-08-2021, 07:14 PM
Minnow

Default New Boat Set-up

I'm in the process of building a new boat (Ranger 621) and am confused about all of the electronics options. I will be primarily walleye and musky fishing with a little crappie and bass fishing mixed in at times.

I'm leaning towards Hummingbird electronics because of the SI, DI, and 360 capabilities as well having all the lake mapping built it.

Tentatively, I'm thinking I would go with the Helix 12 MSI GPS G4N for the console with a mega through hull transducer. At the bow I'm thinking of a Helix 10 MDI GPS G4N. The trolling motor that I think I wants a Terrova 112/ MDI / iPilot LINK/ 72" BT 36V. These are all factory options when building this Ranger.

I have a couple of questions about this potential set-up. Will the 2 Helix units be able to communicate with each other and share waypoints? In other words if I mark a waypoint on my console unit, will I be able to see it on the bow unit?

I've heard that some trolling motors can be set to take you to a waypoint. Would this combination of trolling motor and electronics provide this capability?

Would the through hull transducer perform as well as one mounted off the transom?

I will probably go with a Garmin Panoptics Livescope unit in the bow also. But this won't be set up by Ranger.

Anyone see any issues with this set-up? Any suggestions to make it better? I thought about the Solix units but I've read that they use a lot of battery power and I'm also not sure how much I would like the touch screen on cold wet days. I am open to the Solix models though if there are good reasons to consider them.

Thanks and sorry for so many questions. I want to get this boat right the first time.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2021, 08:14 PM
Wallhanger

Rich, Welcome to WC! I can answer a few of your questions. I have a couple of Helix units and you can link them together but they do not share mapping. If it were me I would go with MSI at the bow and get a TM that has MSI as well. I have an Ulterra linked to my console 10 and I connected the Ulterra MSI to my bow Helix.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:18 PM
Wallhanger

You can go to a waypoint with your TM using Link. A simple way to do it is use the graph cursor, just move it to the spot you want to go to on the mapping screen and press go to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2021, 08:53 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Mag View Post
Rich, Welcome to WC! I can answer a few of your questions. I have a couple of Helix units and you can link them together but they do not share mapping. If it were me I would go with MSI at the bow and get a TM that has MSI as well. I have an Ulterra linked to my console 10 and I connected the Ulterra MSI to my bow Helix.
Thanks for the info!

Please forgive my ignorance on this. I'm confused as to what you mean by they do not share mapping? I was assuming that if I marked a waypoint with my side imaging on the console that the map in the bow unit would show the waypoint. Is this not possible? I would want all waypoints to be on the bow and console units.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:20 PM
Minnow

Pardon me if I am wrong, but I thought you had no choice but to mount the MSI transducer that comes with the unit on the transom to achieve full side imaging?

I am not even sure if the built-in transducer on a minn kota can provide side imaging, and if so, is it as good as the regular MSI transducer on the transom?

Also, if side imaging is possible from the minn kota, wouldn't it be a bit odd looking when making a turn with the trolling motor?
Old 04-08-2021, 11:00 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richb View Post
Thanks for the info!

Please forgive my ignorance on this. I'm confused as to what you mean by they do not share mapping? I was assuming that if I marked a waypoint with my side imaging on the console that the map in the bow unit would show the waypoint. Is this not possible? I would want all waypoints to be on the bow and console units.
You can share waypoints
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 04-08-2021, 11:15 PM
Wallhanger

Normally I think of can not share mapping. As if you have a mapping chip such as Lakemaster in your dash unit. The lakemaster map only shows up on your dash unit. You would need a lakemaster chip for both units.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondJmsBond998 View Post
Pardon me if I am wrong, but I thought you had no choice but to mount the MSI transducer that comes with the unit on the transom to achieve full side imaging?

I am not even sure if the built-in transducer on a minn kota can provide side imaging, and if so, is it as good as the regular MSI transducer on the transom?

Also, if side imaging is possible from the minn kota, wouldn't it be a bit odd looking when making a turn with the trolling motor?
The Ulterra has MSI & DI, I have a console mounted Helix 10 MSI utilizing the transom transducer and the images are comparable with the Ulterra images on my bow Helix. Speed can affect the image quality on both units so you learn when to use it and when not to use it. I like the MSI on the bow especially when Iím casting.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:26 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
Normally I think of can not share mapping. As if you have a mapping chip such as Lakemaster in your dash unit. The lakemaster map only shows up on your dash unit. You would need a lakemaster chip for both units.
I thought that the hummingbirds already had the lake maps built in. Would I still need chips for different lakes with the Helix units?
Old 04-09-2021, 06:30 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Mag View Post
The Ulterra has MSI & DI, I have a console mounted Helix 10 MSI utilizing the transom transducer and the images are comparable with the Ulterra images on my bow Helix. Speed can affect the image quality on both units so you learn when to use it and when not to use it. I like the MSI on the bow especially when Iím casting.
They offer an MSI through hull transducer with the Helix. Any experience on whether or not this performs as well as the transom mounted transducer?