Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird Helix 7 no bottom medium speed - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-27-2021, 04:20 PM
RSH8

Default Humminbird Helix 7 no bottom medium speed

Forgive me if this gets posted previously. It had not been posted 5 hours after origin.

. I have a Mirrocraft Troller 165 w 50 hp Merc 4 stroke engine, from 2005. Last fall I put in a Helix 7 GS3 with transom mounted "high speed" transducer. The trans was mounted in the same bracket my old Lowrance X125 used, with the trans bottom surface just below the boat bottom. It ran OK at high speed, would sometimes lose bottom above 25 mph, the boat's top speed is only 32 mph. I could live with that.

Without changing anything this spring it loses bottom at only 15 mph. As soon as the bow goes up in the air, which is quite extreme with this boat, the bottom return is lost. Screwed the trans into a 1x2 wood piece and clamped it at various spots along the transom. Have tried many different transom positions, depths, and angles. Wired it to the trolling motor batteries to see if there was electrical interference from main engine, no change. Not a lot of luck, and going on a week-long fishin trip Saturday.

The only thing that seems to work is to use my older Helix 5 with G2 and put the trans way off the center line. So I bought a suction-cup trans mount to see if this works consistently. I have spent the entire spring working on this, have not actually gone fishin once with my boat. When I talk to experts they say I am doing the right things, but this is the only solution I have found, and it is a partial one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2021, 09:15 AM
Slot Fish

Are you losing the bottom completely, as in no depth reading at all or just losing detail?
Old 05-28-2021, 01:51 PM
Rsh8

Quote:
Originally Posted by msobie64 View Post
Are you losing the bottom completely, as in no depth reading at all or just losing detail?
First I lose the image, then the depth reading if I speed up 1 or 2 mph further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2021, 07:40 PM
Keeper

If the issue goes away when the boat is stationary then the xducer face is not contacting clean un-aerated water — or something on the boat hull is causing turbulence during water movement across the hull ...

This could be chines, rivets, welds, etc ... Even a scar in the hull in front of the xducer can cause turbulence ...

There are 2 main advantages in installing a mounting board for a transom mount high speed xducer ...:

1. Allows adjusting xducer multiple times without drilling more holes in the transom ...
2. Allows the xducer to be aft more from the transom - which allows the water flow from the bottom of the hull to be on an “upward” path across the face of the xducer ...

Rickie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	782CA04F-5562-459A-BFF3-FA47ADD2A5FD.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	326786  

Last edited by rnvinc; 05-28-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:56 PM
Rsh8

Thanks Rickie. I am aware of the advantages of a mounting plate. Since I have been unable to find a good spot and angle with a 1xx2 clamped on 5he transom, I donít know where to,put a mounting plate.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:05 AM
Slot Fish

I had the same issue when I installed mine except I lost it closer to 10-11MPH. Turned out the transducer was too high on the transom. It's just the way my hull is and the turbulence it creates. I didn't think it should spray any water but in order for me to keep bottom at speed it sprays a little. Below is the thread where I posted pics when it was an issue (too high). I moved it down about 1/2 inch and I can keep depth at 30+ without issue (I lose good picture but I think that's expected at those speeds).

Good luck.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=696946
Old 06-08-2021, 06:41 AM
RSH8

Default Hummingbird helix 7

Thanks for all your help. I guess they usually donít give bottom reading above 25 mph, sometimes not even that.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:34 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH8 View Post
Thanks for all your help. I guess they usually don’t give bottom reading above 25 mph, sometimes not even that.

I get bottom reading at more than 50 mph with my Humminbird Helix 7.

Last edited by Real1; 06-08-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:36 PM
Wallhanger

RSH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real1 View Post
I get bottom reading at more than 50 mph with my Humminbird Helix 7.
I wish my transducer read bottom that fast. If your transducer isn't glassed in, post a few photos of how your transducer is mounted.