Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Airmar TM 165 HW Transducer Worth Considering - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-22-2021, 07:01 AM
Wallhanger

Default Airmar TM 165 HW Transducer Worth Considering

Mounted the Airmar TM 165 HW High Performance Transducer on my friend Daves new Alumacraft. The short time I worked with it on the water, totally impressed. It is connected to a Lowrance Carbon 9. Got the Navico compatible transducer plugged direct into the black/structure scan port (Channel 1). It identified under channel 2 in the installation menu make sure to go into data sources and pick the valid sources for temp speed and depth.

I have the TM 185 HW High Performance transducer on my Lund 2025. The difference between it and this new one, half the price then immediately realized is the speed, responsiveness and clear crisp imagery, over any other transducer I have used. Honestly the best freshwater transducer I have had the experience to work with.

Airmar takes the guesswork out of mounting, setting the angle on these new hulls is easy with the supplied shims and the template

Once connected knowing the Lowrance software can be trying, with Airmars. I did this, restore defaults, then went into configure device. Temp for example will identify under CH 2

https://www.airmar.com/uploads/Brochures/TM165HW.pdf

https://www.airmar.com/uploads/broch...ount-chirp.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM165 coverage.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	326572  

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 05-22-2021 at 07:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2021, 08:55 AM
Wallhanger

I'm just starting using mine; I like the comments regarding the TM185 vs the 165, I was thinking to move to the 185.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:07 PM
Wallhanger

Default The 165 delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre (wallyandre) View Post
I'm just starting using mine; I like the comments regarding the TM185 vs the 165, I was thinking to move to the 185.
It is the perfect transducer in my opinion. wish I would of brought my phone for pictures. Maybe Dave can post a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2021, 06:34 PM
Minnow

Will the Airmar work with Humminbird Helix units?
Old 05-22-2021, 08:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by erie660 View Post
Will the Airmar work with Humminbird Helix units?
Yes, they are mix & match with a 2 cable. You just need the Humminbird plug on the extension cable.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

With the difference in cone angle between the lowrance transducer and the Airmor, what does that look like on the depth finder display as far as looking at or locating structure? Does a drop off appear different when driving the same speed with each transducer?

Sometimes a sudden depth change isn't really that sudden when going back over it to "take a look". Many times a slight slope can look like a sharp drop off at anything over a fast idle. How different does a wider beam make it look like under that scenario?

OP got me to thinking..... (aka spending money)

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 05-25-2021, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

The shallow water performance of this transducer really shocked me. I have multiple screen shots compared to the HDI and the amount of fish I was missing before was unreal. I have yet to use it over 20 fow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2021-04-02_11_1621985199916.33.35.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	326652  

Last edited by Stormsearch; 05-25-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Jigging for walleye
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2021-04-04_10_1621985532225.03.37.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	326660  
Old 05-25-2021, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Comparison to the HDI transducer. Even with gains set higher on the HDI I was missing more fish than realized. In this area was only picking up fish 1 every 30 - 45 minutes. With the 2D of the AI 3 in 1 would have left, but the TM165HW was marking way too many fish. I also have a 3rd HDI transducer installed, it matched the results of the 2D.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2021-04-02_12_1621985613910.00.19.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	326662  
Old 05-25-2021, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormsearch View Post
Comparison to the HDI transducer. Even with gains set higher on the HDI I was missing more fish than realized. In this area was only picking up fish 1 every 30 - 45 minutes. With the 2D of the AI 3 in 1 would have left, but the TM165HW was marking way too many fish. I also have a 3rd HDI transducer installed, it matched the results of the 2D.
Are the extra fish you are picking up actually near the boat or with the wider cone angle are they sometimes quite a distance from the boat and the original transducer just not seeing them?

If I'm thinking correctly, the "cone" is actually a mystical thing to rate transducers?

Somewhere I had read that the actual "ping" generated can only be "aimed" or controlled within limits. Though the sound is focused down it (also) actually travels 180 degrees to the sides, though at reduced energy. Drawing of the cone angles are derived from measurements taken from the center of the signal (straight down) out until a certain percentage of the signal is weakened. Then that determines "cone angle". Transmitter design determines intended cone angle but still cannot stop the residue ping signal from echoing off objects that are off to the side.

Fishing near a solid wall will give me momentary "flashes" at all depths when a stray signal is received by the receiver that bounced off of the wall even though it should not have been in the so called cone angle.

When I see a weak clutter at all depths I usually assume those are fish far to the sides of the boat or false returns from algae, plankton or whatever is in the water column somewhere around me. For the most part no where near the boat.

Someone smarter than me please jump in this conversation. I would like to improve my sonar, but need to understand "what" part I am improving. If I'm seeing more fish but they are not close to near the boat then I've not gained anything. Unless I understand where from the boat those fish are then it has only told me that there are fish somewhere close, but where? The newer sonars appear to answer that question, but I'm not smart enough to understand them. Heck, I'm still sometimes confused by side scan.........

Thanks for the pictures. They helped.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."