Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Kabetogama - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 06-13-2021, 10:23 PM
Wallhanger

Default Kabetogama

Just back from a week with 5 of us.

The blistering heat that we all have suffered through in the upper midwest was there too. Most days 85-93, full sun. Water temps as high as 79 (!). Usually for this week, we see very low 60's. Weeds are up some from previous years, but not choking anything out yet. That will change rapidly.
Traditionally, my boat (3 guys) catch around 75-90 walleye for the week. All sizes, but way more than enough for a couple of meals and to take home limits. Last year, as we were toward the end, we shrunk our "personal slot" way down to only keep 17 1/2-18" fish, and had to throw several back to not be over limit.
This year - only 5 for the week! One "too big" at 24, 3 under 13, and one 14 that we kept. Perch and Sauger however were snapping more than we had ever seen. While not filling the well, we could count on bringing back 3-5 nice jumbos, and 2-3 13-14" sauger each day. Jumbos went on the license, and sauger into the fry pan or license. Didn't get close to coming home with limits. Northern were as usual anywhere there were weeds, and were the typical hammer handles.
No one presentation worked/didn't work any better than any other. Shallow, mid-depth, deep...no walleye. Jigs, Lindy, spinners, raps - no walleye. Found a few spots where we marked lots of walleye sized fish in 12 ft, but no takers.
Resort guy said we were the top producing boat every day for the week, which means everyone else was doing even worse! He noted it has been like that since opener....
Mayflies started showing up on the evening of our last day...so this week may be even harder.
Kab gives...and Kab keeps....

Last edited by GBS; 06-13-2021 at 10:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2021, 01:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS View Post
Just back from a week with 5 of us.

The blistering heat that we all have suffered through in the upper midwest was there too. Most days 85-93, full sun. Water temps as high as 79 (!). Usually for this week, we see very low 60's. Weeds are up some from previous years, but not choking anything out yet. That will change rapidly.
Traditionally, my boat (3 guys) catch around 75-90 walleye for the week. All sizes, but way more than enough for a couple of meals and to take home limits. Last year, as we were toward the end, we shrunk our "personal slot" way down to only keep 17 1/2-18" fish, and had to throw several back to not be over limit.
This year - only 5 for the week! One "too big" at 24, 3 under 13, and one 14 that we kept. Perch and Sauger however were snapping more than we had ever seen. While not filling the well, we could count on bringing back 3-5 nice jumbos, and 2-3 13-14" sauger each day. Jumbos went on the license, and sauger into the fry pan or license. Didn't get close to coming home with limits. Northern were as usual anywhere there were weeds, and were the typical hammer handles.
No one presentation worked/didn't work any better than any other. Shallow, mid-depth, deep...no walleye. Jigs, Lindy, spinners, raps - no walleye. Found a few spots where we marked lots of walleye sized fish in 12 ft, but no takers.
Resort guy said we were the top producing boat every day for the week, which means everyone else was doing even worse! He noted it has been like that since opener....
Mayflies started showing up on the evening of our last day...so this week may be even harder.
Kab gives...and Kab keeps....
so 5 guys 5 walleye for the week....1 walleye per guy basically ?
Old 06-14-2021, 02:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallychowder View Post
so 5 guys 5 walleye for the week....1 walleye per guy basically ?
Yep! One guy got 2. One none!
Old 06-14-2021, 02:47 PM
Wallhanger

I feel your pain. Six of us were on Rainy 6/1-6/4 and Kabetogama/Namakan 6/5-6/8. Very hot and very poor fishing. We had walleye appetizers one night and walleye creole on another, but no fish came home. We saw guides coming in with no fish. Beautiful country but poor fishing.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:25 PM
Wallhanger

I spent the the last two weeks fishing Leech & Cass, we caught a few eaters on Leech and one eater on Cass, lots of hammer handle northern in both lakes. We did catch some larger fish (20"+) on Cass and several 13" fish that were skinny fish. The local DNR guy stopped and talked with me for a few minutes, he commented on the small eater fish (2018 class) and thought they may grow big enough by summers end, i don't see it they are skinny. Cass's water temp was 81F when I left, it's normally in the upper 60's.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:16 PM
Wallhanger

The good news was that the few walleye and comparatively many sauger were all football shaped. My 24" one had the broadest back and biggest belly I've seen in a long time. The sauger too were broad and deep, and they tend to be a "skinnier" fish. So the outlook in this small sample looks great - everyone has been eatin' well for quite some time. Blame it on the non-normal weather this spring....