Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Connecting helix with us2 and si/di transducers - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-18-2018, 06:49 AM
Minnow

Default Connecting helix with us2 and si/di transducers

I was on the Humminbird chat yesterday regarding being able to connect my helix 9 chirp mega si gps g2n with the us2 transducer on my ulterra ipilot link trolling motor and the transducer that came with the helix which is si/di. I was told that it was not possible to connect the two transducers through a y cable or any other way without adding another helix. Is this correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2018, 07:28 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by glh View Post
I was on the Humminbird chat yesterday regarding being able to connect my helix 9 chirp mega si gps g2n with the us2 transducer on my ulterra ipilot link trolling motor and the transducer that came with the helix which is si/di. I was told that it was not possible to connect the two transducers through a y cable or any other way without adding another helix. Is this correct?
I don't see why it won't be possible using the below y cable (and correct adapter for Minn Kota transducer):

https://www.humminbird.com/Products/MSIDB-Y/

Who told you it wasn't possible? Humminbird or another forum member?
Old 04-18-2018, 08:05 AM
Minnow

Humminbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Humminbird
They should know then.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:29 PM
Wallhanger

What would be the benefit of using the built in transducer? If you are going to attach the 2d/di/si then just go with that.
BT terrova link
Old 04-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Minnow

Anyone, is there a benefit to using the us2?
Old 04-19-2018, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Anyone, is there a benefit to using the us2?

Just simplicity as you don’t have a DI or SI transducer mounter on your electric TM and no wiring along the outside of the shaft. The US2 is all pre-wired and built in already.

I have often wondered why MK didn’t come up with a modular transducer system for their TMs that allowed you to switch out the transducer from 2D to either DI or SI. Or even different frequencies. Make the housing the same size and shape on all and have a universal sized spot for it to go on the lower TM housing.

Instagram: @harderoutdoors
Old 04-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Wallhanger

Is the US2 transducer capable of CHIRP? I've read that it is and I've read that it isn't.

Last edited by KPKyllo; 04-19-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
Is the US2 transducer capable of CHIRP? I've read that it is and I've read that it isn't.
If I remember right CHIRP is processed by the unit itself and not the transducer. So if your unit is a CHIRP unit than the US2 is technically capable of CHIRP but it is NOT capable of SI or DI no matter the unit. CHIRP is basically short rapid pulses of "sonar" that your unit processes differently than standard 2d sonar. It doesn't make any sense to me to mount an imaging transducer and still try and use the US2. The imaging transducer will do everything the US2 does plus more.

Last edited by Karas3434; 04-19-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Wallhanger

I don't believe that a CHIRP fishfinder alone can get a CHIRP signal from a standard transducer. I think that a CHIRP fishfinder also requires a CHIRP capable transducer to send the broadband signal back to the fishfinder.

From Marine Electronics:

CHIRP vs Traditional Transducers – Understanding the Difference

We all know how traditional marine fishfinders work. They operate at discrete frequencies – typically 50 and 200 kHz, they use relatively short-duration transmit pulses, and they work in conjunction with traditional narrow-band sonar transducers.
On the flip side, CHIRP (compressed high-intensity radar pulse) transducers offer a whole new world of finding fish. They are designed to automatically sweep through an entire range of frequencies with no adjustment necessary. It’s now possible for customers to install one transducer and have the ability to simultaneously fish the popular frequencies of 28, 38, 50 and 200kHz – as well as every frequency in-between. This results in unprecedented visibility of targets in the water column in both shallow and deep water. Improved target definition and clarity, as well as the ability to find targets within “noise” at high speeds, provide anglers with true game-changing fishfinder performance.