Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sturgeon Bay - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 04-17-2000, 12:17 AM
Steve Miljat

Default Sturgeon Bay

I took a week off from the drawing board for my 8th annual spring hunt for big eyes in Door County. The week went like this 4-10 = 4 eyes 4-11 = 5 eyes
4-12 = 10 eyes 4-13 = 17 eyes. The 4 night total
was 36 fish with 12 fish at 10 plus lbs.and 5 fish
at 12 plus lbs. A combo of a warm front with the arrival of smelt (the water is just at 39) turned
the big girls on. This area with normal water has
skinny spots so use caution if you visit. I was slow trolling with just 1 long line and a minnow
imatation lure that shall remain nameless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2000, 01:03 AM
BIG JAY

Default RE: Sturgeon Bay

Steve, Is there any spots I should watch out for that are to shallow? I will be going up there for my first time this week. Also, is it a night bite? Which launch is the best bet up there with the low water level? Any info would be great! Thanks JAY
Old 04-17-2000, 08:08 AM
Roscoe

Big Jay,

You'll probably want to launch down at the Dnr station in Sturgeon bay. I usually launch at pot park, but it is real shallow there this year. Asking for damage if you don't know the ramp and surrounding area. It is primarily a night area, but some smaller fish will hit in the evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2000, 09:19 PM
Steve Miljat

Big Jay-Launch at the Sawyer Park DNR site in town and stay between the shipping bouys to get out to the big water. The water is ultra clear and the fish get active in spurts at night. I'm going back on 4-18, call for ballbuster on channel 69 if you have a radio. Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2000, 12:34 PM
Slot Fish

When did the Walleye season open for Lake Michigan? How about size and number restrictions?
In general, how long will this good bite continue in the Bay Area? Thinking about making the drive from Minneapolis and any information would be appreciated.

Old 04-18-2000, 02:17 PM
bob

DRP Don't believe everything you read on this site. It not all true!
Old 04-18-2000, 02:52 PM
Slot Fish

Was just wondering when this season opens for Walleye's. I'm assuming that based on previous comments, its open for more than catch and release right now. Does this good bite generally go through the end of May? Is the better fishing out in the bay? I've fished the area for salmon in previous summers, but the walleye reports sure look inviting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-18-2000, 05:46 PM
Keeper

The walleye fishing is open and limited to one fish on Lake Michigan. This is in effect from March 1st til opening day on May 6th when the limit is upped to five fish.
Old 04-19-2000, 05:24 AM
Polski

The 1 fish limit is only on the fox river up to the dam, and it's a 28" min. length. Green Bay, as well as Strugeon Bay are part of Lake Michigan waters, where the season is open all year, with a 3 fish limit and no size restrictions. If your coming here pick up a requlations book and read it, some of the rules can be confusing. Good Luck
Old 04-19-2000, 08:57 AM
Slot Fish

Bob is right, not everything on this site is true. However, the reports from Sturgeon Bay are most likely not among the untruths.

I was up there last night and had four fish, biggest was 11.5. The bite will hold for another week or two, maybe longer, depends on how soon they finish spawning.

If you need more info. send me an e-mail or ask here.

Steve W.