Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
tattle tale flags ? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Minnow

Default Tattle Flags

First, I want to say that I have had my boards for three years now. I do not like to wrap the line aroung the clips (I use a snapper release on the front and a red OR 18 release on the back). I have found that slack line seems to slip until tight. Then, the tattle flag does not help. I plan to replace clips next year. I like the tattle flags early in the year when trolling slower (say 1.0 to 1.4 mph). When the fish are hitting hard I would rather not use the tattle flags. Like some previous posters said, I check my boards often even with the tattle flags to change blade color, bead color or crank color. I check my baits/ lures every 15 to 20 minutes. It is fun though to see the flag drop.

M Whit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Whit View Post
First, I want to say that I have had my boards for three years now. I do not like to wrap the line aroung the clips (I use a snapper release on the front and a red OR 18 release on the back). I have found that slack line seems to slip until tight. Then, the tattle flag does not help. I plan to replace clips next year. I like the tattle flags early in the year when trolling slower (say 1.0 to 1.4 mph). When the fish are hitting hard I would rather not use the tattle flags. Like some previous posters said, I check my boards often even with the tattle flags to change blade color, bead color or crank color. I check my baits/ lures every 15 to 20 minutes. It is fun though to see the flag drop.

M Whit
I assume since your line is slipping in the or18 your using braid, or the rubber pads need replaced. I have a few boards that I put church super clips on the back of, work good and they are adjustable.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Whit View Post
I have found that slack line seems to slip until tight. Then, the tattle flag does not help.
Have you tried tightening the screw on the bottom of the clip? I was experiencing line slippage, and gave the screw a half turn, and now the line doesn't slip.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Minnow

Default Tattle Flags

I am using 10# mono. I guess the pads need replaced or I may just buy all new releases. The release is tightened as much as it can be.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Keeper

I think the flags are awesome! I like them for all the reasons everyone posted already...
Old 10-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Slot Fish

i just did a search for making my own tattle flags and i got a screen that says that that forum is outdated and it redirected me to the new forum at wc. i guess the plans for making the flags is lost. if anybody could post new plans it would be great. pictures is a must cause i am not that great with just directions. the old post was by jake ? and he mentioned plans using rubber bands or springs, don't know which is better but anything would be great. thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Keeper

Make your own Tattle flags like I did in this thread
https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=158421
Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by northshoremb View Post
Make your own Tattle flags like I did in this thread
https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=158421
Why? They work great the way they were designed. What's the need to change them? Why do you want the flag to go up instead of down?

I give you credit for thinking and doing, but is it neccessary? Personally, I don't think so. Unless you can convince me otherwise.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Keeper

Love the tattle flags for reasons mentioned plus taking out wife, kids, etc. Lets all in on the action and adds sets of eyes to watching boards.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 AM
PackerSmacker UL

Default Not for me

I don't use them. I don't watch my lines. No worries until something sinks the board or the line goes screaming out...