Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ever Win A Bid Item On Ebay??? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 07:43 PM
Wallhanger

Ebay is great for marine oils and parts. Allot of certified dealers sell oils and parts on Ebay cheaper than in-store, with free shipping. I've been buying Opti oil and various parts there for the last few years and saved a ton of $$$. My tracker diaphragm was $140 from the local dealer. Scored it on Ebay from a Merc dealer for less than $100. Same with ATV oils and parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2019, 08:05 PM
Wallhanger

I know of several dealers in all kinds of industries that do the same.
They order more in to lower their net inventory cost.
It raises the profit margins on counter sales and they still turn some additional profits via online sales

Appliance parts are one of the big ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
Ebay is great for marine oils and parts. Allot of certified dealers sell oils and parts on Ebay cheaper than in-store, with free shipping. I've been buying Opti oil and various parts there for the last few years and saved a ton of $$$. My tracker diaphragm was $140 from the local dealer. Scored it on Ebay from a Merc dealer for less than $100. Same with ATV oils and parts.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:31 PM
Keeper

I did not know eBay applied a 15 minute rule. In the past I've used https://www.auctionsniper.com/ to get some good deals.
If you care to look in multiple Craigslists try https://www.searchtempest.com/
Old 03-22-2019, 10:58 PM
Wallhanger

Ive won hundreds of items on ebay, cars and boats too. But i will add i think the golden days of Ebay are long past. Just not that many bid items as before mostly another avenue for manufacturers to sell in bulk with B.I.N.. You can still find some diamonds in the rough but you really have to work at it.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 03-23-2019, 05:57 AM
Wallhanger

I've won hundreds of items bidding on ebay. And sold hundreds too
Old 03-23-2019, 05:59 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by x4flatfish View Post
What's the 15 minute rule?
No one answered this question. I don't know what the 15 minute rule is either?
Old 03-23-2019, 06:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogilville View Post
Not sure what they are referring to unless it's like Bring A Trailer. BAT has a 2 minute rule that after the auction ends you can raise the bids within 2 minutes. When nobody bids within 2 minutes the auction is over. Helps both buyer and seller either get the car or get the best true price that someone is willing to pay. As a seller I would love it. As a buyer you can forget sniping, the true price wins every time.

I get a big charge out of rookies who bid over and over for days before the end of an Ebay auction. I never ever bid until the very last seconds. I don't want to drive up the price or draw attention to the item. I figure out exactly what my max is with no regrets and I hit the button with less than 10 seconds to go. Sometimes I get it for far less than I was willing to pay and sometimes I am overbid by a lot. If I still want the same item I learn what the value may be by the experience and am ready the next time.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

Sure...Last fall I wanted to try out Ambassaduer narrow spool reels 4xxx series. I got 4 reels, a 4600,2 4500 and a Royal Express for $110. All were in working order, the 4600 and Royal Express were prisitine, the 4500's had a few scratches. I waited towards the very end of the bidding to make my offer.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogilville View Post

After I posted the question, and no one answered, I Googled it. Ebay does NOT do this. The OP was wrong. It is when there are bids in the last 5 minutes of an auction, the auction is extended for 15 minutes. Theoretically the auction would never end.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:03 PM
Keeper

Maybe 40 items or so have proven to be worth using flEaBag, but mostly the price Anonymouse is willing to pay is a lot lower than what somebody who really wants that item is also willing to pay - so they almost always overbid Anonymouse.
A couple of times it was a nice surprise to win something really cheaply, but out of hundreds of lowball bids, it's not an effective way to acquire anything you really need or want.

The "Make Seller an Offer" feature is useful, so don't be afraid to use that and try to catch a deal - especially if you are going to order multiples of an item.
Anonymouse purchased (12) of an offer of (25) colored slimline CD cases from a vender in some podunk backwater California town.
Normal price runs about 18 cents per 5mm CD case, in bulk ($36/200) on sale and ($48/200) retail, online.
This fella was offering 25-packs of colored ones for $6, ($24/100) but after negotiating by email, Anonymouse got an order of 300 for $24, including S&H. (8 cents each.)
Ended up going back to that vendor to order 400 clear slimline cases about a year later & got a similarly good deal after reminding him Anonymouse was a repeat customer.

Did the same kinda deal on 2 cases of canned air (big 10 oz. cans) & got 24 cans of compressed air for ~$2.34 each. ($56 including S&H.)
The winning argument?
He buys in bulk from China and pays maybe $1.66 per 10 oz. can, in lots of 1,200. (100 cases)
(Anonymouse researched bulk prices beforehand.)
By selling Anonymouse 2 cases - 24 cans, he was moving stock & still making SOME profit, even if not as much as he would have liked, on single can sales.
They ask like $7 per 10 oz. can, with free S&H, in most cases.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 03-30-2019 at 09:07 PM.