Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Greasing Bearings - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 05-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Keeper

Since you feel there was water replacing them removes any risk. Have them replaced with the grease you plan on using going forward. Keep extra tubes around so you can swap the grease as needed. Spare rubber caps too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 11:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper61 View Post
Couldn't find the Lucas grease but found a marine grease at local auto parts store. When I removed the ripped cap, the oil almost oozed out so i assume water had penetrated. Added the new grease until all i got was new grease on both wheels.

Checked bearings midway into the trip in Greenbay and hobs were completely cool. Trip was completed and now the boat is living in the U.P until October so I will probable change the grease to lucas before the return trip.

Should the bearings be removed and cleaned? Is it necessary? As long as the bearings have adequate and good grease, shouldn't they last for years? I wouldn't do the servicing myself but might be a good idea when I get the boat winterized.
Thanks for the information
The important thing with the grease you are using is it's the same base as what is in there.......so was the marine grease a Lithium Complex grease and what is the Temp Drop Point......If I remember correctly Dexter requires a Drop Point of at least 419 degrees. If it meets these requirements you're good to go.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-28-2019, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper61 View Post
Couldn't find the Lucas grease but found a marine grease at local auto parts store. When I removed the ripped cap, the oil almost oozed out so i assume water had penetrated. Added the new grease until all i got was new grease on both wheels.

Checked bearings midway into the trip in Greenbay and hobs were completely cool. Trip was completed and now the boat is living in the U.P until October so I will probable change the grease to lucas before the return trip.

Should the bearings be removed and cleaned? Is it necessary? As long as the bearings have adequate and good grease, shouldn't they last for years? I wouldn't do the servicing myself but might be a good idea when I get the boat winterized.

Thanks for the information
That's why I don't recommend lithium greases for marine applications. They can handle a little water contamination, but not much before they turn to slop or leave free water in the hub and bearings to cause rust. Calcium sulfonate grease can handle more water contamination than any other type. Added benefit is that the thickener in the grease is a corrosion inhibitor so if you do have a seal failure and allot of water contamination, nothing will rust. Microscopic flash rust can happen very quickly and pit bearing surfaces.

If you didn't change types of grease, you should be fine without having to do a complete breakdown and cleaning. I wouldn't worry about the dropping point. Even a lithium that isn't complexed will still have a dropping point of around 400-410F. If you reach the dropping point of a grease, you're screwed already and probably melted your seals and destroyed the bearings already anyways. The next time you do a complete breakdown and cleaning, do yourself a favor and change over to a calcium sulfonate grease. As a lubricant formulator, I use Lubrimatic Marine grease.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Keeper

I use one of those temp guns to check my hubs. Just point and read. You'll see variations, too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...7-20/206260202

There are cheap ones on Amazon, etc. ($10).
Old 06-10-2019, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Bobby,
Why do you suggest using a manual grease gun?
Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Bobby,
Why do you suggest using a manual grease gun?
Because Dexter requires it per their maintenance manual and for warranty coverage. It's covered here in this 2 minute video....... I would guess so you don't blow out the rear seals while purging the old grease out of the hub.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources...-z-lube-system
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra