Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Hardwood Floor Follow Up Bid - is this reasonable? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Keeper

Default Hardwood Floor Follow Up Bid - is this reasonable?

Thanks for all your responses regarding installing/living with hardwood. A local, very reputable local flooring company came by and gave us a bid on the room we wanted to change from carpet to hardwood. So, they bid this job with White Oak, Grade #1 rift/quartered 3/4" X 6" X long lengths and the material is $5855.80 for 520 sq. ft.. The labor to hand scrape this product, stain, install and apply 3 coats of waterlox is $4940.00. There are some other miscellaneous items coming to a total of $11,466.10 for product and installation of a rectangular room and adjacent hall totaling 520 sq ft.. I have never done a hardwood floor. Is this competitive? They are known for doing good work but it seems like a lot of dough for one room. I realize this is a large room and I am sure this is a lot of work. Currently, it is carpeted and this hardwood will be installed over the under layment which is Advantek.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footdoc55 View Post
Thanks for all your responses regarding installing/living with hardwood. A local, very reputable local flooring company came by and gave us a bid on the room we wanted to change from carpet to hardwood. So, they bid this job with White Oak, Grade #1 rift/quartered 3/4" X 6" X long lengths and the material is $5855.80 for 520 sq. ft.. The labor to hand scrape this product, stain, install and apply 3 coats of waterlox is $4940.00. There are some other miscellaneous items coming to a total of $11,466.10 for product and installation of a rectangular room and adjacent hall totaling 520 sq ft.. I have never done a hardwood floor. Is this competitive? They are known for doing good work but it seems like a lot of dough for one room. I realize this is a large room and I am sure this is a lot of work. Currently, it is carpeted and this hardwood will be installed over the under layment which is Advantek.
$22 per square foot seems somewhat high to me. I'd get some other bids from other reputable places.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

I suggest that you get another bid or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footdoc55 View Post
We are waiting a bid for a room measure from yesterday. One room will be 3/4 x 1 1/2" x long lengths oak continued into the den/bedroom (160sq. ft.) off the kitchen, the great room (500 sq. ft.), currently carpet, will be 3/4" x 3 1/4" x long lengths of oak. He stated approx. $13 sq. ft. plus the stain for the great room. We will see what the total estimate will be! Labor is high, but that is ok with me.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Keeper

Default Flooring

I can say two words." Limber Liquidaters. Also look at getting prefinished flooring. I bet your first bid was from Empire. They are usually 3 times higher than anyone else. Also try Angie's list for a contractor.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM
MK cant log in

I'm an appraiser and from the new construction projects that I've appraised, the cost you mention is not far off from what I've seen on good quality custom homes.

If you get another bid make sure its "apples to apples"., i.e., same grade material, same lengths, same floor finish and number of coats, etc. You can probably save some money with somewhat shorter and random lengths. All 6' lengths will cost a bit more.

I added 800 s.f. on my house 20 years ago and about 600 s.f. is 3/4" white oak hardwood. Still looks great; wouldn't change it for anything.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Wallhanger

Default Hardwood flooring

No matter who you choose to do the work, make sure that ANY and ALL cutting is done outdoors. The dust from cutting pieces can take forever to get rid of if they cut inside. We built a house five years ago with mostly birch flooring on the main level, and one day it rained and so they decided to cut some of the pieces in one of the bedrooms. Don't make this mistake. Good Luck
Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

http://www.homewyse.com/services/cos...ood_floor.html
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Wallhanger

Your putting down 6" wide long length boards ? That is going to be a premium right there. Hand scraping ? Another premium cha ching ! 3 coats, add some more. It will be beautiful floor when finished. Those wide boards will really show the Q sawn white oaks fleck rays much better than narrower boards can. Scraping after sanding will accentuate it as well.

2 1/4 or 3 1/4 " wide random lengths around here goes about $8/ sq foot installed, about another $6/square foot sanded and 2 coats.

Last edited by Leinie; 03-15-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Slot Fish

$10.00/foot for labor is what we would pay here. Honestly if you are handy at all if I were you I would look at prefinished hardwood,(the prefinished has the almuminum oxide coating and is very durable) and install it yourself. I did this when we built our house and it took me 50 hours to do the work, the bid for a contractor to do it was 5k. It was hard work, but not complicated.