Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird transducer splitter - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Minnow

Default Humminbird transducer splitter

I just purchased 2 humminbird units (858 & 587) for my little 16' boat. I am looking for a splitter that would allow me to run both units off of one transducer. I have searched the humminbird home page and found many cables and different splitters, but none that seem to be described as what I'm looking for. I can't be the first to want to do this, can anyone help? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Wallhanger

Two units and one transducer, and it's compatible with both of your fish finders:

http://store.humminbird.com/products/425543/US3
Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Minnow

I knew there were people much more intelligent than me! This would work, but is there anything that will let you run them simultaneously (front and back)?
Thanks again,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckdropper View Post
I knew there were people much more intelligent than me! This would work, but is there anything that will let you run them simultaneously (front and back)?
Thanks again,
Ryan
Not that I know of. You would have to have two units that you could network together and then share the transducer, the 858 is networkable, but you would need to upgrade to a 700 series instead of the 500 series to add networking.
MinnKota Terrova 80 w/iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 10 G2N, 998HD Si, 959HD

Towed with: 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie CrewCab 6'4" Rambox 4x4.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thanks again,
Ryan
Simultaneous display of transducer data on more than one unit can only occur over an ethernet network. Your 500 series unit cannot be networked, so your current configuration will only allow data to be displayed on one unit at a time.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Minnow

Thanks guys. Who knew it was this difficult? So here is where I'm at. I have 2008 80lb Terrova, no ipilot (yet) mounted up front w a built in transducer, that cable is not compatible with the humminbird unit either. Ideally i would like to use that transducer if there was a way to do it. Otherwise, I would either have to mount both new transducers, or upgrade to a 700 series unit. Which I then have to buy additional accessories to sync them. What are your suggestions/recommendations? Really appreciate the insight. Just looking to do it right the first time...and hopefully before the ice is off!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Minnow

Ok, so I found some trolling motor transducers that will work with my 587, however, they are all externally mounted. Are there any other better solutions than this?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, so I found some trolling motor transducers that will work with my 587, however, they are all externally mounted. Are there any other better solutions than this?
I'll assume that your 587 is a 587ci HD DI (down imaging) model, which the Terrova bult-in transducer does not support. What are you hoping to accomplish? Without an external DI 'ducer on the TM, you'll need a non-DI or SI unit.

Is your 858 a DI model or not?

HRG
Old 03-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Minnow

Initially, I was just trying to accomplish running both Humminbird units off of one transducer, rather than mounting two off the back, bc I was pretty sure my Terrova transducer wouldn't be compatible. When I found I couldn't just use one transducer with the specific units I have, I was looking for the next best option. It appears to me now that I will have to use an externally mounted transducer off of my TM or mount 2 transducers off the back. I think i'll just mount an external off of the TM. That seems to be the most simple option.
It makes sense to me now...it just took awhile for it to sink in!!
Thanks for the help guys!
Ryan
Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Initially, I was just trying to accomplish running both Humminbird units off of one transducer, rather than mounting two off the back, bc I was pretty sure my Terrova transducer wouldn't be compatible. When I found I couldn't just use one transducer with the specific units I have, I was looking for the next best option. It appears to me now that I will have to use an externally mounted transducer off of my TM or mount 2 transducers off the back. I think i'll just mount an external off of the TM. That seems to be the most simple option.
It makes sense to me now...it just took awhile for it to sink in!!
Thanks for the help guys!
Ryan
The only problem with running two transducers at the same time is interference, chances are pretty good the two will interfere with one another since they are just a boat length apart. That is one of the major benefits of being able to network the units and share the transducers.
MinnKota Terrova 80 w/iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 10 G2N, 998HD Si, 959HD

Towed with: 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie CrewCab 6'4" Rambox 4x4.