Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird Helix Settings - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-16-2021, 11:09 AM
Keeper

Default Humminbird Helix Settings

I just purchased a Helix 5 w/Chirp & DI (no SI) and have been tinkering with the settings. I was hoping some of you might be able to tell me what settings I should concentrate on and what actual settings(numbers) you use for the most success. I will be using mine mostly on mountain and Canadian shield type lakes. I will be using it to target mostly walleye and trout. Thanks

Also any of the settings you find most usefull for the G.P.S as well.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2021, 01:41 AM
Minnow

I have the same thing. Im mostly running the default settings i believe with good luck. I can check when im on the water tuesday and let you know
Old 05-17-2021, 02:32 PM
Wallhanger

If you don't have a copy this should help. Link to Helix Manual: https://879dd651a809fc1b59de-035169d...4%20Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2021, 09:50 AM
Minnow

Go to Youtube, look up Tom Boley walleye fishing or something like that. Anyhow, you will find a bunch of his videos, there are a few really great videos to watch. You will need to sort through a few but will learn easy settings. I switched from Lowrance to HB this year, had same concerns. Actually setting are pretty easy but you will want to put unit into customer mode(not at home, forget if that is called Angler or Custom). I've found his settings are pretty close but each body of water is a just a bit different. I've also found on same body of water day to day settings may need to be changed slightly. It's really easy to tweak though. Check them out, worth your time
Old 05-19-2021, 10:48 AM
Wallhanger

It pays to understand the various settings and what they do. As previously mentioned, Youtube is a great source to understand what it all means and a starting point for settings.

With that said, I am constantly fine tuning my settings. Bottom composition, suspended material in the water, depth, speed, etc. are all variables that I compensate for with subtle changes in settings.

Especially, with walleye sitting on the bottom, I am always looking to provide better definition through fine tuning my settings on my Bird.....
Mercury Marine Enertia 14-5/8 x 16 Pitch SS 3 blade prop (5700 RPM's WOT/ 46.2 MPH)
OMC Tech Series Gauges
Stupid people die first then they come back again as beer cans....
Old 05-20-2021, 10:50 PM
Keeper

Thanks All. I looked at some of the Tom Boley stuff and it looks like all good stuff. I like hearing things from regular guys that use it in much the same way I plan to. I am switching as well from a Lowrance to HB.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:36 AM
Keeper

Once you find your most used screen views you’ll set those as shortcuts. Hide screen views that you never use as they are just added junk to scroll thru. You can always bring them back if you want. Learn to adjust water level if you get a chip so that the bathymetry on the map matches your graph. I use the color offset to identify and contrast 15’ and shallower depths but it can be set for any depth. Learn to quickly adjust which screen is the active one when you have a split screen up so you can zoom in or out to study structure or fish locations before they go off the screen. It’s handy to move the cursor over an object of interest that you see on screen and then mark a waypoint, then you can navigate to it.
I realize some of what I mention here are not “settings” but are operations that I find very useful and hope it’s helpful. I’m sure Lowrance has many of these functions but I’m not familiar with Lowrance products.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:02 AM
Keeper

Jason Halfen (The Technological Angler) has some YouTube vidoes and DVD's on his website:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheTechnologicalAngler/videos

https://www.technologicalangler.com/

Doug Vahrenberg also has a lot of Humminbird related YouTube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DougVahrenberg/videos