Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Time to let my little buddy go... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 05:55 PM
Keeper

Derwood, i feel for you. It is a hard day.
Mn moose, this dog owner is not a 5 year old. He doesnt need fairy tales. He is being a responsible dog owner. Your post has the potential of encouraging a dog owner to euthanize their dog before it is the right decision for the dog. You should be ashamed of yourself for posting it. Our only concern should be whether or not our dog can feel joy and have a life worth living in this world. Whatever afterlife awaits a dog should not be considered. Derwood, i commend you for extending your companions life. You did all you could. You are a great dog owner and ibelieve you are doing the right thing for your companion.
Minn Kota Terrova 112 Ipilot Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos219 View Post
Derwood, i feel for you. It is a hard day.
Mn moose, this dog owner is not a 5 year old. He doesnt need fairy tales. He is being a responsible dog owner. Your post has the potential of encouraging a dog owner to euthanize their dog before it is the right decision for the dog. You should be ashamed of yourself for posting it. .
No, you're incorrect. The purpose of the poem is to let people remember their dog companion on the days they see a rainbow here on earth.
You should read the poem again and comprehend what the unknown author is saying.

I did not write the poem.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:38 PM
Keeper

Unlike many pet owners, you thought about your dog and not yourself. He will truly thank you when you meet again.
Heritage Custom Bunk-Torsion Axle w/Vault hubs
Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Longbed 8spd. or 2016 Winnebago 38Q
Old 06-18-2019, 06:44 PM
Keeper

I read your post several times. Your "poem" never mentions a dog owner seeimg a rainbow. It only describes a possible afterlife for a dog, which a responsible dog owner should not consider when deciding what is best for their dog. I dont care if you wrote the "poem" or not. It is a fairy tale and it shoud not influence a dog owner on making a tough decision.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:39 PM
Minnow

I'm thinking about my dog's future.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 PM
Keeper

Thats whst im afraid of. Im afraid some people will be influenced by a fairy tale of a dogs afterlife. The only concern should be the dogs quality of life in this world. I am not going to post again on this subject. Derwood, i did not intend to take over your thread. I am sorry for your loss.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:36 AM
Wallhanger

No worries. Emotional time that's for sure.

When my Vet saw his sores, she assured us we were doing the right thing, and at the right time as well. His sores were from Cushings Disease, which when coupled with Diabetes, is very difficult to treat.

So..... I made sure he had a nice meal before we left (we sat on the front stoop for a good long while too). I took the long way to the vet so he could hang his head out the window for a while longer. And then I held him the entire time in the Dr's office until he was sedated (we made sure he could see us the entire time, too). Once he was gone, we wrapped him in his favorite blanket, gently laid him in his box, placed his favorite toy in there with him, and secured the lid. I drove home and put him in the ground and covered him up. We have a small, simple stone with his name on it that should be here in a couple wks. I took his collar off and hung it on a hook in the garage. And I put his tag on a small chain, and hooked it in my truck cab.

He was a very good dog. A real "simple" kind of little guy. Nothing ever bothered him. Man did he annoy me when it was 95° out and he ALWAYS had to be leaning up against me when I was sitting on the couch.... I think I will miss that this summer.

Thanks to all for letting me lean on you all a little. I know so many of you have been through worse, and many more times than I have.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

Hard to tell, but our younger dog seems a little down. Do you think he knows his pal is gone for good? It's only been 24 hours...
Old 06-19-2019, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
Hard to tell, but our younger dog seems a little down. Do you think he knows his pal is gone for good? It's only been 24 hours...
I think dogs know more than we think. Sorry for your loss. Every dog is special and it sounds like he had the right owner. Keep up the good work with the young one!
Old 06-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Absolutely yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
Animals mourn. They are not dumb and they can sense your mindset through body language and demeanor far more than most realize.

Years ago one of our barn cats got hit on the road in front of the house. I picked her up in a shovel and sat the shovel down while I went for another shovel to dig with. In the few minutes I was gone the rest of the barn cats appeared and were setting there sniffing and staring at the dead cat. That was when I really became aware of animals mourning and or understanding.

Hope you're OK.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."