Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Deer Shack ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 11-24-2020, 02:06 PM
Wallhanger

Default Deer Shack ?

Deer shacks are getting very popular-both elevated and on the ground . Do you guys know if big bucks shy away from them ? I've never used one .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2020, 02:33 PM
Keeper

I have a tower I built about 12 years ago. What is very important is that they are enclosed and deer cant see you move in it. Meaning you have to have a backdrop behind you. If its open or windows on both sides and they can see you move, your a goner. That said, Ive had a 10 point walk right pass mine while I was in it. Unfortunately, it was doe only season at the time!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2020, 05:24 AM
Wallhanger

Don't expect much the first season. After that unless you change something, it becomes a piece of their enviroment. I'm talking permenant stands. Three year old stand, buck year 2, no buck this year as I added the steps. Lots of does and young deer though, so I'm convinced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3260a.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	322544  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2020, 09:23 AM
Keeper

I have been hunting out of my deer blind/shack for about 10 years. I have had plenty of bucks and does walk within 10 yards of it. I mainly use it for rifle and muzzleloader seasons. Since it is permanent I think they are used to it. Mine is on the ground and seems to be more quiet. I have hunted out of ones off the ground and the deer seem to hear you if you make any noise.
Ulterra Linked with
Helix 12 and 10 Mega
Old 12-02-2020, 05:33 PM
Wallhanger

goosechaser : did the bucks shy away the first year ?
Old 12-03-2020, 07:49 AM
Keeper

Default blind

I have had one for 15 yrs. The deer get use to them real fast. Added 3 more to my farm this year and within hours after putting them up deer where walking by. As with any real mature buck will not see as much as younger deer. Trying to remember how many bucks where shot from the one had to be close 12-15. Good luck
Old 12-03-2020, 11:25 AM
Keeper

Minkman, we set our blind up in mid summer and by fall they were used to it. To the deer I think its just like a piece of farm machinery like a grain or silage wagon or whatever. If it doesn't move or smell like danger they get used to it being there. The older bucks and does I think really use there sense of smell more than younger deer. I positioned my blind so that most of the time its down wind. Also getting to the blind undetected is important. I will say that having a blind/shack has increased the time that I spend in the field. Hope this helps
Ulterra Linked with
Helix 12 and 10 Mega
Old 12-03-2020, 12:52 PM
Wallhanger

Goosechaser, you mentioned getting to your stand undetected is important . I agree completely. Use to be we would go in in the dark or nearly so. Almost every time we chased deer off the fields . Changed that to 1/2 hour after getting light which is about sun up. Seeing way more deer now and I don't think thats coincidence